The Icing Fight Ensues!

Decorating By mavreader Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 9:14am by Texas_Rose

mavreader Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mavreader Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 7

Ok....I have been troubled by this problem the first time I made my first cake after Wilton Course 1. During the course, i was excited to make the frosting...but then when I needed to cover a sheet cake with the 3 cup recipe...i knew i needed a new frosting. However, I have yet to find one that has the same texture, i should say, that the wilton frosting has. I flip through their books and admire their cakes but I have yet to replicate one...I've tried countless recipes for buttercream, indydebis to seriouscakes...I live in deep south texas, idk if that has something to do with it. I've bought both types of Sam's Frosting: the Bettercream and the non dairy whipped topping...but the bettercream is too sweet and the whipped frosting doesn't decorate well. So, finally, my question. Does anyone have a frosting recipe that 1) tastes good 2) makes a large amount 3) crusts well 4) doesn't make me tear out my hair! lol Please post your recipes that work well with you, please. Sorry about the long post, i'm just really frustrated that I can't make beautiful cakes because of my frosting....Thanks for reading! icon_redface.gif

6 replies
woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 8:56pm
post #2 of 7

I live in Louisiana, so we have as much heat/humidity as you do. I love Indydebi's BC. It tastes great and has a great texture. I started out using Wilton's and I don't really see a big texture difference. Her recipe crusts very well and tasted 10000x better than Wilton. Have you tried it? icon_confused.gif

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 7

I use sugarshacks recipe. It tastes really good, crusts well, and will hold up in the heat...and one batch fills my 5 quart mixer...you should give it a try

sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sportsmom005 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 7

I'm also a huge fan of indydebi's buttercream. I'm a newbie to cake decorating and find that it's easy to work with and tastes great!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 2:05am
post #5 of 7

If you really like the Wilton recipe, then why not just double or triple it when you make a batch?

I never make a single batch of my recipe (similar to Sugarshack's) anymore. If I'm going to drag out the mixer and make a mess, might as well make it 1/2 as often. I freeze any extra and have some on hand if I need it in a hurry.

Rae

cyndy40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cyndy40 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 8:58am
post #6 of 7

I highly recommend Sharon Zambito's (Sugarshack's) bc icing. It tastes so good, sets up/crusts well in the humidity of TX (I, too am a TXN), and is just beautiful! I have never ever iced with something so smooth and awesome!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 9:14am
post #7 of 7

I really like Indydebi's buttercream. I used Wilton for years (the old recipe, no meringue powder) and it never crusted well and didn't stand up to heat well at all. When I tried Wilton's new recipe, it did better but still melted when I took it outside.

Anyhow, if you like Wilton's recipe and it works for you, why don't you just double it when you need more? icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%