What Causes Hard Esges???

Decorating By sanfree Updated 4 Jul 2009 , 5:39pm by __Jamie__

sanfree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sanfree Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 7

My last two sheet cakes have had hard edges to them. It is impossible to get the leveler through them without tearing chunks off the cake. What is causing this? I am using the Wilton baking strips and the Wilton cake release spray.

6 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 7

Sounds like you are baking them too long and/or at too high of a temp. I stick with 325.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 7

sometimes mine does this and i really think i baked to long, i just try to cut them off and then i freeze it so it will be moist, try using some simple syrup to make them soft

cakebaker1957 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 7

sometimes mine does this and i really think i baked to long, i just try to cut them off and then i freeze it so it will be moist, try using some simple syrup to make them soft

cakebaker1957 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 7

masterchef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
masterchef Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 5:11pm
post #6 of 7

icon_smile.gif hard edges are normal. you did nothing wrong. after you remove the cake, you should use a pastry knife to remove all edges, brush off the crumbs and then seal the cake with simple sugar. chef louise

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 5:39pm
post #7 of 7

Ummm, hard edges that a leveler cannot go through are not normal. Unless I've been so lucky on every single cake I've ever baked. They should (mine usually don't, but that's a good thing!) get a slight crust, but not so bad that you have to hack it off. Or is that sheetcake thing, do they get hard crusts??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%