How Do I Make Gerber Daisies?

Decorating By NewBaker2009 Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 1:57pm by all4cake

NewBaker2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewBaker2009 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 22

We are "very" amateur bakers and promised a friends mom we would make her b-day cake. She would like Gerber daisies on her cake and we cannot find a template that gives the real look. Can someone please help us? icon_lol.gif

21 replies
Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 12:17am
post #2 of 22

I'd love to know too.......

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 12:35am
post #3 of 22

michael's sells a set of 3 (1 large, 1 med., 1 sm.) gerbera daisy cutouts that look just like the flower (lots of petals, pointy ends, etc.). i use them all the time. if you press them in the center when you apply them to the cake, it makes the points come forward for an even more realistic look. you could always do the larger one and then the medium one and rotate it a bit to help with the effect! add a dot of icing in the middle, and you're done! i'll attach a pic that i recently did (the customer wanted sunflowers but you'll get the effect...you should use pinks, purples, etc.)
LL

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 1:39am
post #4 of 22

i am on a quest to make gerbera daisies too, lol.
i have purchased the cutters upat2am mentioned and the pme plunger cutter that viens when it cuts. i haven't played with either of them yet, but i think both will work really well.

my next stop will be to check youtube for videos icon_smile.gif

i thought you might enjoy looking at two photos by cakecentral members that use daisies in lovely ways! these two cakes are the ones that started me on my gerbera quest, lol.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=462493

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1398573

diane

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 1:45am
post #5 of 22

Someone on here not to long ago posted this link on how to make gerber daisies. Here is the link.

http://www.make-fabulous-cakes.com/gum-paste-gerbera-flower.html

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 2:13am
post #6 of 22

that's a fabulous tutorial! thank you!

Michele25 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 2:54am
post #7 of 22

Thank you for the tutorial!!!!

Jenthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenthecakelady Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 3:09am
post #8 of 22

I purchased the JEM gerber daisy cutters and I have to say I have not had any luck with them. It is VERY hard to get the gumpaste out of the cutter because it sticks in the center. I am thinking of getting the PME plunger myself. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!!

NewBaker2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewBaker2009 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 3:09am
post #9 of 22

Thank you sooooo much to everyone for your help! We are looking at the tutorial and checking out Michael's for the cutters!

katherinem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katherinem Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:14am
post #10 of 22

I also got mine at Michaels and used it in my profile picture cake and although they aren't already imprinted its really easy to get that look with a simple toothpick pressing.

katherinem Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:15am
post #11 of 22

I also got mine at Michaels and used it in my profile picture cake and although they aren't already imprinted its really easy to get that look with a simple toothpick pressing.

katherinem Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:18am
post #12 of 22

katherinem Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:19am
post #13 of 22

artsywest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artsywest Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:50pm
post #14 of 22

I recently did a wedding cake with gerber daisies, and found them to be quite challenging. I got my cutter and formers from Global Sugar Arts- there was a separate petal former which had to be used on each individual petal, and a former for the flower center. I used a combination of fondant and gumpaste, and the petals were so fragile, it seemed like they broke when you looked at them. I ended up gluing the petals on the back and front of the flowers with hot glue. (You can only replace broken flowers so long before you go insane) Of course I told the folks at the wedding, "please don't eat the daisies!" I hid the glue with small new petal growth toward the flower centers. I then painted and shaded the flowers and leaves with food coloring. All in all, it was a lengthy difficult process which I don't care to repeat for a long time!

artsywest Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:51pm
post #15 of 22

I recently did a wedding cake with gerber daisies, and found them to be quite challenging. I got my cutter and formers from Global Sugar Arts- there was a separate petal former which had to be used on each individual petal, and a former for the flower center. I used a combination of fondant and gumpaste, and the petals were so fragile, it seemed like they broke when you looked at them. I ended up gluing the petals on the back and front of the flowers with hot glue. (You can only replace broken flowers so long before you go insane) Of course I told the folks at the wedding, "please don't eat the daisies!" I hid the glue with small new petal growth toward the flower centers. I then painted and shaded the flowers and leaves with food coloring. All in all, it was a lengthy difficult process which I don't care to repeat for a long time!

artsywest Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 6:52pm
post #16 of 22

Michele25 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 8:55pm
post #17 of 22
chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 9:13pm
post #18 of 22

I have the PME plunger set and it is FABULOUS! (I used it on the baby shower cake in my avatar)

I also quite like that tutorial! I'm definitely going to try that on my next daisy cake.

gloria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gloria Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 3:17am
post #19 of 22

I have the plunger and it works great! I just did a cake not too long ago with gerbers - check out my pics - I have two on there.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 4:34pm
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimelt76

Someone on here not to long ago posted this link on how to make gerber daisies. Here is the link.

http://www.make-fabulous-cakes.com/gum-paste-gerbera-flower.html

What a fun little site that is!! Thanks for sharing!! icon_biggrin.gif

franskitchen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
franskitchen1 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 1:30pm
post #21 of 22

I also purchased the Jem Daisy cutter set, I do not care for it, I even asked ,the agent before i bought which cutter she thought was better she said jem, I have now ordered the pme plunger cutter hope it is here in time i have 3 dozen gerber s to do for Aug 5, I had hoped to get started on then early.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 1:57pm
post #22 of 22

I use the plunger cutter and a combination of the tutorial posted by Jaimelt76

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%