Need Help With Fmm Cymbidium Orchid Cutter

Decorating By Cake4ever Updated 27 Jun 2009 , 9:01pm by Cake4ever

Cake4ever Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 8

I am making orchids from a different cutter than the rest of my classmates. My cutter set only has 3 cutters. I have made all of the lower petals, now I am working on the upper. My problem is that the upper petals are so very narrow and it just doesn't seem like it is going to look right with 3 narrow petals on top and 2 large ones on the bottom.

I am looking at the FMM instructions that came with the cutters and they say to cut 2 of each petal. But the cymbidium orchid has 5 petals, so that can't be right either.

Should I just make 2 petals using the larger petal cutter and then just do one of the narrow for the top of the orchid??

7 replies
PinkLisa Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 8

I use the Scott Woolley cutters but took at look at the FMM cutters you have. You should cut three petals with the smaller cutter and place them in a triangle (equally spaced apart all touching in the middle). Then cut two of the larger petals and place them at 10 and 2 o'clock (at the top between two of the smaller petals). You are correct that the cymbidium orchid has five petals.

PinkLisa Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 8

To go off better what you were asking -- the top petal should be narrow, then two large petals on either side of that, and then two small petals at the bottom -- so three small and two large petals.

Cake4ever Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 8

I've already started on the petals. I have made 9 columns or throats, so I will need 5 petals for each one. Whew.

I've been cutting the long narrow petal on the thick side, so I can press the veins on and then thin out the edges, trying to make it wider without distorting the impressed veins. KWIM?

I guess, this set by FMM just has narrower petals for the top 3, than the lower 2.

I'll make do with the cutters I have and keep my fingers crossed that they look somewhat realistic. Thanks so much for your assistance! thumbs_up.gif

PinkLisa Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 8

I just took a look at some pictures of real cymbidium orchids. Many pictures look like the petals are all equally sized and some look like the top three are narrower. It seems like you are on the right track! I have been following the Scott Clark Woolley method but I think I need to do some research on my own as well. For example, I learned to make the peony but the peonies in my garden look nothing like the variety I learned. Nature has many variations. I'm a garden hobbbist so I love to look closely at flowersicon_smile.gif

Cake4ever Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 8

Me too! I know I will never be a show quality sugarpaste flower maker, but I do want them to look as life-like as possible. I don't want or expect mine to be perfect because nothing in nature is perfect and that also makes them look more realistic. KWIM?

I've spent over an hour looking at real cymbidiums on Flickr. I've been looking at how they unfurl and at the different stages of growth. You are so right, I am smacking myself in the forehead, I do now remember seeing some that had very narrow petals on top. Most likely that is a different variety cymbidium as you said. I will go and look at those now. LOL.

Right now, I have curled petals, cupped petals, and pinched petals all laid out drying on a foam pad. I just have to make about 27 more petals and I am done. icon_wink.gif

PinkLisa Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 8:58pm
post #7 of 8

I checked out your sugarflowers in your photo gallery. They are stunning!!!

Cake4ever Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 9:01pm
post #8 of 8

Aww, thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%