Opinions Wanted

Decorating By kimb Updated 27 Jun 2009 , 10:19pm by noyhoward

kimb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimb Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 12

Which do you prefer for accent, &/or figure molding?

Fondant or gumpaste

11 replies
jojocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojocakes Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 12

I personally like to work with fondant better. But that's because I have only tried gumpaste a few times and (maybe it's because i don't know all the techniques) but I can never seem to sculpt what I want out of it before it starts to dry out or starts to crack. I'm sure that I'm not doing it right though because I see a lot of gumpaste work here on CC that looks great. Anyway I would definitely say fondant.

TheNana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheNana Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 12

I personally have used neither, but what about modeling chocolate? How does it stack up compared to the others? I will someday learn to use these and would like to know where to start.

noyhoward Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noyhoward Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 12

For accent I like working with fondant.And for figure molding I like 50/50.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 12

A mixture of gumpaste and fondant.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 12

I like to avoid gumpaste if I think someone might eat it.

Jen icon_smile.gif

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 7:13pm
post #7 of 12

I use fondant and add tylose powder whenever I need it to harden quickly. That way I don't have to keep gumpaste on hand.

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 7:59pm
post #8 of 12

does any of them get soft after a while with the moisture from the cake... a)the 50/50 fondant and tylose
b) the fondant with tylose
c) the gumpaste
I used pastillage but it dries within a minute, so u have to work fast. i would love to use gumpaste more, but i'm concerned about the fact that it may go soft

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 8:21pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettoothmom1

does any of them get soft after a while with the moisture from the cake... a)the 50/50 fondant and tylose
c) the gumpaste
I used pastillage but it dries within a minute, so u have to work fast. i would love to use gumpaste more, but i'm concerned about the fact that it may go soft

I have used fondant with tylose powder for bows, figures and animals and my cakes are always buttercream. I have never noticed them getting soft from sitting on the buttercream.

With the tylose powder you can control the amount you put in and that way if you want it rock hard you can up the amount. It does start to dry out faster than regular fondant, but even with the tylose powder added, I am able to roll it out several times before it gets too dry. I can make a bow with tylose and the loops are usually ready to use within 8 hours.

DoubleTroubleCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoubleTroubleCreations Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 8:29pm
post #10 of 12

I heard that you can't put fondant in the refridgerator and that makes it difficult to keep a cake cool if it has fondant on it. Is that the same with gumpaste?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 8:36pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTroubleCreations

I heard that you can't put fondant in the refridgerator and that makes it difficult to keep a cake cool if it has fondant on it. Is that the same with gumpaste?

You heard wrong. Lots of members here refrigerate their fondant-covered cakes.

Gumpaste figures/flowers should never be put in the refrigerator. The humidity will ruin them.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

noyhoward Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noyhoward Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 10:19pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettoothmom1

c) the gumpaste

I still have flowers from last year that I used to practice with.I keep them away from sunlight b/c the light will change the colors of your fondant & gumpaste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%