Bubble Straws For A 6" Cake

Decorating By cathyscakes Updated 27 Jun 2009 , 6:04pm by kakeladi

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 3

I'm making a 2 tiered cake, and was thinking about using the bubble straws for the first time. I wouldn't worry but this cake is going on a long trip, like 4 hours on a curvy road, will it hold the cake allright, or should I use dowels. I am so nervous about this, i'm not delivering and am afraid they won't be careful, so i want to use whatever method that would work the best. thanks

2 replies
msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 3

Cathy- I think it will be perfectly fine with bubble straws as long as you dowel the cake...maybe even do two since it is such a long drive. I only ever use bubble straws for my cakes. Matter of fact, I just delivered a 4-tier (assembled) wedding cake last night and it was just fine. I like straws better than dowels on so many levels, but mostly because the straws offer more surface area of support than dowels.

Good luck and watch out for those "KAKE KILLERS" (sharp on/off ramps) on your trip!

-Michelle

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 6:04pm
post #3 of 3

I have *never!* used a bubble straw yet. If you are wanting to support a 6" tier regular drink straws will be more than sufficient.
Having the cake finished far enough in advance of transporting that the b'cream has crusted; &/or chilling the cake is all I have ever done. On a few cakes more than 2 tiers I have used a center dowel. When I do, I prefer to make it a couple of inches *longer* than the cake is tall so that when I get it in place I can remove that dowel. The hole can be covered w/a flower, leaf or a squirt of icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%