Need Advice With Icing

Decorating By tab26852 Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 11:24pm by Alioop12345

tab26852 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tab26852 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 9

Do any of you have trouble coloring your icing black. Mine looks like a very ugly gray I am using the wilton coloring I even tried adding alot of coloring and it still stayed gray and made the icing taste terrible. The last cake I made I ended up buying black icing in the tube and its nasty. Any tips would be a blessing!!

8 replies
Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 9

I find it is really hard to make black icing. I've seen it done, but it takes a LOT of colouring, especially if you are using Wilton paste. One trick that helps somewhat, is to let it set over night. It seems to go blacker that way, but it really does take a lot of paste colouring. I've done like you and just bought a tube of the black for accent work.
Something else you might try, is starting from chocolate icing. Takes less colouring and certainly would taste better.
HTH thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 9

I'm very fortunate that my cake supply shop sells small containers of black icing. Since I only use it for accents colors (never ice a cake in black icing, of course), this small container works well for me (It's about the size of a small carton of cottage cheese). If I had to actually make black icing, I'd probably shoot myself.

Alioop12345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alioop12345 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 9

Indydebi- would you mind sharing which supply store you go to? I am wanting to go to Miss B's (I think that's what it is called) but I live on the NE side of town and taht is a haul for me! I've been to the one on East Washington st. but they really didn't carry what I was looking for so I have been ordering everything from CK. Thanks!

Kiki74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiki74 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 5:04pm
post #5 of 9

I had a terrible time with black icing too. I always get dark gray. I started using chocolate and it works so much better. A lot less color is needed. I still have an awful time with red though. Any suggestions for that? The last time I needed it i bought a tube from the store.Yuck!

indydebi Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alioop12345

Indydebi- would you mind sharing which supply store you go to? I am wanting to go to Miss B's (I think that's what it is called) but I live on the NE side of town and taht is a haul for me! I've been to the one on East Washington st. but they really didn't carry what I was looking for so I have been ordering everything from CK. Thanks!

Ms. B's is it, babe! On the I-465 "clock", I live 10 minutes outside of the 3:00 position (56th Street) and she's located at the 9:00 position ..... but that's where I go when I need to stock up. I'll go to East Wash when I need one or two things, like filling or cardboard, but when it's re-stock time, Marsha's is the only place to go.

Alioop12345 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks Indydebi- I'll have to go there and take a look around. Sounds like we live pretty close to each other! I live in the Geist/Oaklandon area.

indydebi Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 9

I live behind Walmart on Pendleton Pike. My shop is right next door to Lord Ashley's Pub, just 3 minutes down the road! We ARE neighbors!

Alioop12345 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 11:24pm
post #9 of 9

cool!!!! How awesome! I'd love to stop in your shop sometime!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%