Freezing Pearl Clay

Decorating By mbt4955 Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 4:30pm by JenniferMI

mbt4955 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 4

I'm wondering if I can freeze Jennifer Dontz's pearl clay. I pm'd Jen and I know she will answer, but I'm in clean up/clean out mode and want to make sure I don't forget.

I have a wedding July 25 and I would love to use this pearl clay for the cake. It is TOO HOT in Texas to leave it out and ... yes, I have a/c ... I work all day and do not keep the house cool. Who can afford to - besides I have to save my money to water the roses and my baby fig trees, not to mention the lawn. icon_smile.gif

I also have a couple of batches of MMF and MFF (black and white), but I know I can freeze them.

3 replies
JenniferMI Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 4

Hi Martha!

I know I already answered your e-mail, but I developed pearl clay and would be interested to know if anyone has ever froze it. Guess I'll have to try that icon_smile.gif I did have a customer that had some in her frig for THREE years and she said it still was good. Soooo, we know it lasts a very long time! I usually use it up wayyyyyy before that then - lol

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 1:49am
post #3 of 4

I recently had someone who wanted a large open bible cake for a communion, but I was going to be out of town for the exact date.

On my open bibles, I always have leaves around the grapes and curled page corners.

I was OK with her freezing the cake for 10 days before the communion, but I was sure that just plain fondant leaves and pages would droop once defrosted . I figured that the addition of chocolate would help it hold shape better after defrosting. I made pearl clay and used that for all of the decoration on the top of the cake--grapes, leaves, wheat, chalice, host, and rosary. I added white chocolate to the fondant pages, too.

The client couldn't believe that the cake was perfect after defrosting.

As far as freezing it before using it, I wouldn't bother. I store it just like fondant--wrapped in plastic in airtight container out of light & heat.

JenniferMI Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 4

That's good to know Rae!

Yes, I agree, it lasts such a long time in the frig or room temp.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%