Cake In Fridge?????

Decorating By majormichel Updated 27 Jun 2009 , 7:37pm by kcw551

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 8

I am curious, when you bake a cake, why do you store it in the fridge? Won't the fridge dry the cake out. Cake out of the oven is nice, light and moist. However after it was stored in the fridge and return to room temeperate the cake is not so moist and the cake is also heavy changing the texture.
icon_rolleyes.gif

7 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 8

People will store them in the fridge if they used a filling that needs to be refrigerated. My understanding is once the cake has been covered with fondant, it's not going to dry out the inside cake. But I could be wrong.

But I agree with you, if you just stick cake layers or a cake not crumbcoated in the fridge it's going to dry out.

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 8

I agree! Cake DOES dry out fast..Sometimes I will put cake WHILE in the pan hot,,in freezer after I take it out of oven..I let cool out of freezer first for a few min. then put in freezer so it will cool faster (only if I'm rushing to get cake done),,but otherwise,,no need to place in fridge unless with filling/ crumbcoated.

SueB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueB Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 8

I've always wondered why on the cake shows (Amazing Wedding Cakes, Cake Boss, etc) they put the decorated cakes in the fridge. Most of them are covered in fondant and I thought I had heard fondant didn't do well in the fridge. I can understand the need to refridgerate if there is a filling that needs to stay cold but why do ALL the cakes seem to end up in the fridge?

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 2:38pm
post #5 of 8

i put mine in the fridge after iced but not before. i don't even like to let them sit out uniced

on the shows, i am pretty sure they have the temp set higher than a reg fridge temp so its not as cold but still cooler than room temp

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 4:07pm
post #6 of 8

In a commercial kitchen there's a cooler and a fridge. They may look the same, but they are not.

And unless the filling requires refrigeration there is NO good reason to refrigerate a cake.

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 8

Grrrrrr! I did not get any notification.

When I bake a cake, I usually let if cool for 8-10 mins and wrap it in plastic wrap until I am ready to decorate. The cake would be sitting on the counter for a a day of two before I actually decorate it. The plastic wrap would keep the cake moist until the icing goes on. I do believe the icing also puts moister into the cake as well.

As to fondant, when I decorate a cake with it, I normally rub abit of shortening on the surface so it don't become dry or crack. I works like a charm. The fondant even have a shine to it some times (look at the green cake in my gallery).

Thank Leahs a cooler is different from a fridge. I cooler makes more sense.

Thanks for all the responses.

kcw551 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcw551 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 7:37pm
post #8 of 8

I put all my cakes in the fridge before it is cut. one reason is that I usually have to travel with it and it helps set the icing. I do let it warm up before cutting it. And I don't like to but it in the fridge after it has been cut. The cakes are always super moist and tasty. But from what I read from other CCers point of veiws, I think I do everything wrong. But it works for me and I'm not going to change it. icon_smile.gif I do appreciate every ones help on so many great ideas and suggestions, and use the ones that work for me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%