How Far In Advance Can I Make My Buttercream Roses And How

Decorating By buttercreambrandy Updated 27 Jun 2009 , 4:16pm by indydebi

buttercreambrandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercreambrandy Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 1:14pm
post #1 of 13

do I store them?

Making my final Wilton course 1 cake this week. Class is Thursday. Our instructor said we could make them ahead and bring to class if we wanted (although we have to make at least one in class to show her we can do it LOL!)

How far ahead can I make them (class recipe, with shortening and water..no butter or milk)? What's the best way to store them?

Thanks!
Brandy

12 replies
cad1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cad1951 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 1:20pm
post #2 of 13

i think you can make them anytime you want and keep them in fridge or freezer in an airtight container. hope it works for you. they should be good for at least a couple weeks in fridge or freezer.

buttercreambrandy Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 13

Thank you!! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 13

Here are some BC rose tips on this thread: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6452222-.html#6452222

I'm a big advocate on air-drying, not freezing, since anything that is frozen will melt when it's placed in room temperature. Once they are air-dried, there is no moisture to freeze/melt left in them and you can practically toss them across the room to someone to put on a cake, yet they are still nice and edible.

buttercreambrandy Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks...so making them Tuesday would be okay for Thursday? I'm afraid they'll spoil. Do I need to be worried about that? Would making Monday be ok?

Brandy

indydebi Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:20pm
post #6 of 13

Why would they "spoil"? icon_confused.gif They're made of the same icing you put on your cake and your cake sits around for more than 2 days. icon_confused.gif

buttercreambrandy Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 13

Sorry.

I've been keeping my cakes in the fridge. Its so humid here.

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:33pm
post #8 of 13

They won't spoil, and indydebi is right about the freezer - once they hit room temp. they will start to droop.

By the way - I tried your buttercream recipe Debi - now that's all I use! Thanks so much for sharing. Nothing but compliments since I switch to your recipe.

indydebi Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:35pm
post #9 of 13

Indiana's humidity is so heavy, you actually bend over when you walk outside, and I never put my cakes in the 'frig.

And even if you DO put them in the 'frig, the question stands: Why would you think the roses would "spoil" if you made the roses a day or two ahead of time?

They'll be just fine. I make them a week or so ahead of time and never have any problems. thumbs_up.gif

buttercreambrandy Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:38pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

And even if you DO put them in the 'frig, the question stands: Why would you think the roses would "spoil" if you made the roses a day or two ahead of time?

Because my mother raised me LOL. She's obsessive about things spoiling. Things are eaten or put in the fridge (except for breads) It drives my hubby nuts, too. I'm glad to know I don't need to put my cakes in the fridge. Or my roses for that matter icon_wink.gif

I live in PA. We're having a total blast of summer right now. HOT and HUMID. Blech!

Brandy[/quote]

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:50pm
post #11 of 13

I totally agree with Debi! I made buttercream roses in May about 4 days ahead of time, left them on the square of was paper that was used on the flower nail, put all of them on a cookie sheet, covered with a cotton towel and let sit on my kitchen table until it was time to decorate that cake. I picked them up with my fingers and a metal spatula and placed them on the cake. They were perfect! Well - they weren't PERFECT by Oh - what a fantastic rose!! They just set up nicely and were easy to handle.

No - at first my daughter just loved my peonies, no they aren't peonies! Oh well then your carnations are really great - no they aren't carnations either!! Oh - well are they roses??? why yes!!! Oh they are good!!LOL!! True story - exact words!!! I totally suck at making bc roses -- but I added a boatload of luster dust and disco dust to them and that brought them to life and noone noticed how bad they actually looked!!!LOL!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 4:09pm
post #12 of 13

When I worked at the bakery, and the regular decorator went on vacation , I made trays and trays of roses for the staff to use all week. They just air dried and sat on the tray in the speed rack.

indydebi Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 4:16pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttercreambrandy

Because my mother raised me LOL. She's obsessive about things spoiling.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Now you sound like my hubby! For the record, I LUV my MIL and think she is the greatest lady in the world (ok, MOST of the time!), but I finally got hubby trained to know that when his reason for anything is "but that's what mom always said!" then it's probably wrong!

"Honey, if it's the way YOUR mom did it, then we're NOT doing it that way!"

Love her .... but we don't do things the same way!

When my 16 year old was a baby, we were at their house and baby dropped the pacifier on the floor. I pick it up, wipe it off on my shirt and give it back to baby. MIL says, "You can use the sink to rinse that off." I said, "No, it's fine." SHe then says, "I can do it for you." I said, "No, it's fine." I'm sure I was driving her totally crazy! She still lived in the era of "you NEVER let your hands touch the baby's pacifier or bottle nipple!" ..... and I didn't! icon_rolleyes.gif

You should have seen her face when I told her I just drop a handful of cheerios on the floor for the baby to eat. Baby dumps them on the floor anyway, I just cut out the middle step AND don't have a bowl to wash! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%