2 Part Question....

Decorating By yaadie Updated 27 Jun 2009 , 1:50pm by mbt4955

yaadie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yaadie Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 12:08pm
post #1 of 3

ok you guys have helped me before. I have a wedding cake coming up in July and it is justbefore my trip overseas. and I am working some overtime the week before. The wedding is on the saturday and it is 2.5 hours away. It is for a friends sister. I would have sent the cake with my friend the night before but she is heading there the Thursday night and I work all day Thursday. I need help

question 1.
How long before hand do you guys bake a wedding cake red velvet covered with fondant and how do you store it. If I ahve the cake ready on the wednesday would the fondant hold up? how woudl she store it, and would/coult it be refridgerated (using MMF)

question 2.
can you doctor a chocolate cake mix to red velvet? I ahve never made red velvet and i think I undercharged her alot and now I am not making anything at all if I try to do a scratch cake. I am not a scratch baker, but I was going to try of of the 4/5 star recipes lested here in cakecentral, but I dont know if I will have the time or energy now. has anyone doctored a cake mix? and what were the results. I only have access to betty crocker and duncan hines.

Please help ASAP!!

2 replies
BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 3

I you are going to doctor a mix use a german chocolate cake mix. I normally use Paula Deens red velvet cake and I dont think it is very expensive to do. Yes I think you can make it ahead of time and it should hold up if put in the fridge but I know alot of people dont like to put fondant cake in the fridge.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 1:50pm
post #3 of 3

Here is MacsMom's recipe from the Gourmet flavors thread. You would probably bake it according to the WASC recipes. There is a google page that stays updated. I would recommend looking there for any kind of doctored mix recipe ... http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs. I have started doing a lot of recipes from this thread just because they sound so good. I don't think my doctored cakes end up costing any less than scratch though. Good luck. icon_smile.gif

Red Velvet Cake - MacsMom *If you don't have 100 mouths to feed, lol, just use 1 box white and measure out 1/2 of the chocolate cake mix, and obviously use half of all the other ingredients.

2 boxes white cake mix
1 box dark chocolate cake mix
2 pkg chocolate pudding
2 teaspoons salt
3 c flour
3 c sugar
3 c sour cream
3 cups vanilla coffee creamer
1 cup water
1/3 c oil
9 eggs
2 tablespoons butter flavoring
2 (1oz) jars Wilton red-red

**Edited to add** I THINK MacsMom recommends NOT using Duncan Hines mixes, so you might want to PM her if you are going to try her recipe. Kind of like some other topics on CC, you will find lots of people who argue both ways. When I am using someone's recipe, I try to follow their advice 100% the first time. icon_smile.gif ~m

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%