Help Needed Quick!!

Decorating By babyhugs Updated 27 Jun 2009 , 1:37pm by mbt4955

babyhugs Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 11:53am
post #1 of 11

Can a banana cake be left out? I was torting it to fill and it doesn't look to good icon_cry.gif TIA

10 replies
poohthebear Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 12:00pm
post #2 of 11

How long was it left out? Was it covered? What about the temperature it was left out. Did you taste it? What looks wrong?

babyhugs Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 12:20pm
post #3 of 11

I baked it on Thurs. and froze it, then put it in the fridge Fri. afternoon and set it out late last night. It was double wrapped in saran wrap and then foil. The house is cool,probably 68, (hot flashes icon_redface.gif ) It tastes good but the banana in the cake is brown. Doesn't look the best.....Something tells me this is going to be one of those days!

Doug Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 12:24pm
post #4 of 11

oxidation strikes again.

bananas, like apples, turn brown easily from exposure to the air.

---

trick for next time..

slice bananas into a bowl that has lemon juice in it (works for apples too)

the acid of the juice helps to neutralize the compounds in the fruit that react with the oxygen in the air to turn it brown.

the slices only need to be in there for about 30 seconds or so and it doesn't change the taste.

babyhugs Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 12:31pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks to both of you for your help, I was afraid of that icon_sad.gif
I've even done that before but just forgot! Even worse...I put my fondant monkeys in the oven and forgot to take them out before starting the oven for the choc. cake that will replace the banana. I'm really glad my 2 yr. old granddaughter's not a tough customer. Back to the drawing board........

kakeladi Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 12:43pm
post #6 of 11

You said it doesn't look good but what do you mean by that?
It was well wrapped. It should have been fine. I've left them on the counter before w/o problems. Did you taste the cake?

Soooo sorry to hear about your monkeys icon_sad.gif Sounds like your day has not had a good beginning.......turn it around. Think good thoughts.....everything will turn out o.k.

babyhugs Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 1:07pm
post #7 of 11

It tastes fine but the bananas are brown, not very appealing. Do you think it would still be ok to use? I'm guessing yes since I just took the choc. one out of the oven. It'll be a good day...it'll be a good day...it'll be a good day...

grama_j Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 1:13pm
post #8 of 11

The taste should be fine...... you say you froze it, then thawed it.... that will discolor bananas......

Doug Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 1:16pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyhugs

It tastes fine but the bananas are brown, not very appealing. Do you think it would still be ok to use? I'm guessing yes since I just took the choc. one out of the oven. It'll be a good day...it'll be a good day...it'll be a good day...

well, who's to tell when you smother it in chocolate icing or ganache???

chocolate + bananas = YUMMMMMMMMMMMM

babyhugs Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 1:26pm
post #10 of 11

Well now, I seem to have an extra choc. cake...It will be a good day icon_biggrin.gif
You guys ROCK!! Thanks again!!

mbt4955 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 1:37pm
post #11 of 11

Freeze the chocolate cake! thumbs_up.gif I'm sure it will come in very handy one of these days and you will be SO glad you have it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%