3D Cake Help

Decorating By Rose_N_Crantz Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 10:16pm by FrostingFace

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:49am
post #1 of 7

Anyone know of any Thomas the Train cake tutorials? My sister in law wants a 3D Thomas the Train cake for her son who's turning 3 in August. I would love to make one, but it's my first time doing a 3D cake. Any advice? I've been online and found a cake kit that has his face, a few smoke stacks and the coal car thingy. Can anyone help me out on how I should assemble? Or how to cover an oddly shaped cake in fondant?

6 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:59am
post #2 of 7

Debbie Brown's book Favourite Character Cakes has instructions for a Thomas cake. She uses a 12X8 cake cut into thirds and stacked, with some parts cut out of the top layer, to make the engine.

It's actually not too difficult covering an odd shape with fondant. I don't know why but sometimes it's easier than a regular cake.

Renaejrk Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 4:19am
post #3 of 7

Sometimes it's easier because there are more nooks and crannies (lol) for the fondant to go, instead of having to smooth more on a regularly shaped cake!

pipe-dreams Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 4:28am
post #4 of 7

Tonight is your lucky night, my friend! I have a Thomas tutorial bookmarked from when I did the Diesel 10 train. Hope this helps!!

http://thomasthetankenginecake.blogspot.com/

Edited to add some tips!

I didn't realize this would be your first 3D cake. Here are a few tips to make it easier on you!

When your cake is done baking, let it cool as usual. When it is just slightly warm to the touch, wrap it in plastic wrap and put it in the freezer. Leave it in overnight if possible. This makes it so much easier to cut/stack/carve without crumbling to pieces!

I would rub some crisco on the face after it is made, but before it is on the cake..just to make sure it doesn't start to crack.

And finally, relax about it!! Covering 3D cakes really isn't that hard at all. If you need any more help, feel free to PM me and I will offer any advise I can...I do a lot of 3D cakes!

Good Luck icon_biggrin.gif

PinkLisa Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 1:29pm
post #5 of 7

I used the Wilton 3D train pan to make my Thomas cake. My kids loved it so much I made it for several of their birthdays. That was back before I was using fondant so I covered it with buttercream stars but the pan would also be condusive to fondant.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 9:40pm
post #6 of 7

pipe-dreams, thanks for that tutorial. I just made a practice cake just now and to be honest the carving didn't take as long as I thought it would. Now I'm just kinda stressing about the icing part. I think I've decided to ice in bc and use fondant/gumpaste accents.

Wish me luck ladies (and gentlemen, weird how I have a hard time picturing male decorators)! And I'm still open to advice and tips for this cake!

FrostingFace Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 7

Please post pics when your done Rose N Crantz, good luck! icon_smile.gif

I'm new to 3D carving too -- what kind of knife works best for carving?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%