Problems With Sides Of Cake

Decorating By cakelady11215 Updated 1 Jul 2009 , 11:30pm by cakelady11215

cakelady11215 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:42am
post #1 of 8

Anyone know why the sides of the cake would cave in? Just a little in the middle, but enough that it would be noticeable. Should I have put parchment paper around the sides? Is it the recipe? Any ideas/advice? Thanks so much.

7 replies
cylstrial Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 2:30pm
post #2 of 8

Once you stack the cake, you could take a knife and carve the cake down to have straight sides.

charliecakes Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 8

cakelady1125 i had this problem in the past and it turns out i was overmixing my cakes. There could be other issues to but this is what i noticed

Brownie1954 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 8

I don't believe I have encountered or heard of this happening. My first thought would be a baking problem. I have had the center of my cakes sink in some, if I pull them too soon to check if they are done, so I make sure I leave them alone until a certain amount of time is done on them. I am wondering if you are not baking them long enough?
Charliecakes mentioned that it could be an over-mixing problem. Are you timing it right when you are mixing?
I am NOT starting the old mix vs scratch thing, so lets not go there beyond me asking if you are using a mix or scratch? Could it be an ingredient you are leaving out? Adding too much of?
I am wondering if if carving them is the answer? Sorry cylstrial....I sure don't mean to question your answer in the wrong way......I just think that coming up with the answer as to why it's happening, and coming up with the fix would take care of the problem.....

JenniferMI Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 12:13am
post #5 of 8

To much liquid???? Not enough batter in pan??? Usually when mine sink, I need a bit more batter in the pan.

HTH!

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

cakelady11215 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:29pm
post #6 of 8

well it's one of those semi-homemade recipes with box mix plus other ingredients. i don't think i timed the mixing, so that could be the issue. i did check it a few times (my oven temp never seems accurate, i have 4 thermometers in there!) so any one of those reasons could be it. i could carve it afterwards but i hate to give myself extra work when i know i'll be rushing around and freaking out as it is! lol

at this point, i'm just not going to use that recipe. i am afraid of creating more work for myself if it happens again (especially on a 5-tier wedding cake). thank you all for your responses icon_smile.gif

cakelady11215 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:29pm
post #7 of 8

well it's one of those semi-homemade recipes with box mix plus other ingredients. i don't think i timed the mixing, so that could be the issue. i did check it a few times (my oven temp never seems accurate, i have 4 thermometers in there!) so any one of those reasons could be it. i could carve it afterwards but i hate to give myself extra work when i know i'll be rushing around and freaking out as it is! lol

at this point, i'm just not going to use that recipe. i am afraid of creating more work for myself if it happens again (especially on a 5-tier wedding cake). thank you all for your responses icon_smile.gif

cakelady11215 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:30pm
post #8 of 8

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%