Xanthum Gum?? Gluten-Free. Help!

Decorating By msulli10 Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 2:09am by msulli10

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 2:49am
post #1 of 10

I am going to make a gluten-free cake recipe from Babycakes and one of the ingredients is Xanthum Gum. This is really expensive and I only needs like a 1/4 tsp.
Is there anything that can be substituted? I have never made a gluten-free, sugar free, dairy free anything before. I'm a bit nervous. Has anyone out there made a recipe from this cookbook yet? The stuff looks really good.

9 replies
msulli10 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 10

No one out there is a gluten free baker???? Bummer!

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 10

I've tried gluten free baking with not so hot results. You really do need the xanthum gum to make the consistency of the cake right, otherwise it will not have a good texture and rise.

Betty Crocker is now making gluten free cake mixes if you are interested. I haven't tried any of them yet, but I assume they would be better than what I have tried at home. Probably cheaper than buying all the specialty ingredients also.

What kind of flour were you going to try in the cake?

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 10

Hi there, I have made a gluten free cake once. But I used Xanthan gum though!

But here are two recipes that I found online,

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/desertrecipes/r/glutenfreecake.htm

http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/Gluten-free_Birthday_Cake_Sponge__4264

HTH. icon_smile.gif

msulli10 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 10

I am using a recipe from Babycakes cupcake book. It's made with garbanzo fava bean flour (wild, huh!) It's also sugar free and dairy free. I did buy the xanthum gum since I learned that you need it in gluten free things otherwise it will fall apart. Hopefully it comes out tasting good!

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 10

If it turns out good would you pm me with the recipe? I'm not supposed to eat wheat and I would love a good recipe!

msulli10 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 11:45pm
post #7 of 10

Absolutely!

msulli10 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 11:46pm
post #8 of 10

I won't be making it for another week though.....

Eme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eme Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 11:59pm
post #9 of 10

I needed a small amount of xanthum gum a couple of years ago and also didn't want to purchase a large, costly amount....I found it at the local health food store in bulk! I could buy as small an amount as I needed and it was only change, basically. I think I paid something like $1.25 for a couple of TBSP. Just something to tuck away for future reference! thumbs_up.gif

msulli10 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 2:09am
post #10 of 10

Good to know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%