How Much Would You Charge For Being A Food Stylist?

Decorating By susgene Updated 29 Jun 2009 , 12:43pm by matthewkyrankelly

susgene Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 2:30am
post #1 of 9

I have a wonderful opportunity and I have no idea what to charge. Any advice anyone could give me would be very much appreciated...

I have been asked if I would work as a cake stylist for a photo shoot for a large company. I would make and decorate cakes and cupcakes and then take a day off my regular job for the photo shoot. It would probably take me a couple of days to get ready for the shoot. We're only talking about a one-time opportunity -- but who knows if all goes well...

Are we talking about $500 or $1,000 or ???? I don't want to undercharge but I don't want to get laughed out of their office either.

help?! Thanks!

8 replies
Doug Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 2:54am
post #2 of 9

full amount that each cake would command if sold on open market

the full amount of lost wages for the day off from work

an appropriate amount for all the schlepping you'll have to do (gas isn't exactly cheap any more!)

sari66 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 2:03am
post #3 of 9

I agree

woodruffbn Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 2:16am
post #4 of 9

Congrats! That sounds like an awesome opportunity!

adven68 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 9

what a phenomenal job....I would heed Doug's advice...

good luck!!

susgene Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:51am
post #6 of 9

Thanks Doug! This could be a great opportunity to succeed.... or fall flat on my face. icon_redface.gif

Guess I won't know until I try.

Appreciate the advice!

-Tubbs Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:57am
post #7 of 9

Sounds exciting! Good luck thumbs_up.gif

jaybug Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 12:04pm
post #8 of 9

Sounds like a great gig! Go for it! thumbs_up.gif

matthewkyrankelly Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 12:43pm
post #9 of 9

Doug is right. Think of yourself as an independent contractor. Out of that day, you have to pay all of your taxes and cover all of your overhead which includes all of the pre-work necessary to get the job done that day. I presume you will be bringing all of your own equipment etc. Try to find out what a make-up artist might get for a day on set as a starting point. Companies expect that a daily might be higher so that they don't have to deal with all of the paperwork and pay issues associated with a one day hire. You need to account for that and put it in your price.

Quote by @%username% on %date%