Gumpaste In Fridge

Decorating By kymscakes Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 6:49am by Rylan

kymscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kymscakes Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 2:30am
post #1 of 7

What is the rule with putting cakes in the fridge with dried hardened gumpaste decorations, I can't remember.
Thanks!
Kym

6 replies
gloria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gloria Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 4:56am
post #2 of 7

I never put gumpaste, fondant in the fridge. Moisture gets at it and yuck!

Once on a cake I find it seals the cake so it slows down the time of going stale.

kymscakes Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 5:24am
post #3 of 7

anyone ever have luck with gumpaste in the fridge?? This kindof messes me all up if I cant put this whole thing together. But I certainly don't want to ruin countless hours...

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 5:29am
post #4 of 7

Here is a thread about putting fondant in the fridge. Maybe you can ask one of the gals who put there fondant in the fridge. I'm sure they've had to come across that before. I would be happy to know the answer to this one! http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-638252-.html

kymscakes Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 10:44am
post #5 of 7

so I did a little experiment and put 5 little gumpaste flowers on wire stems in the fridge over night and left all the others (145) out. Some I made last night and some the night before. The 5 in the fridge all held up perfectly. However, because it is so humid here, some of the ones I made last night that were left on the counter are all droopy and shiney this morning. So I am concluding that the controlled humidity of the fridge is far safer than the air of the house....I hope I am right!

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 7

I'm sorry no one replied to you. We live in a humid climate as well (Seattle WA) and I leave my gumpaste/fondant items out and they do fine. I've never tried to put them in the fridge. Thank you for doing the experiment! I appreciate it!! Thanks again! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 6:49am
post #7 of 7

I live in the desert. I have refrigerated gumpaste/fondant decorations without drooping.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%