How Much To Charge Church For Sheet Cake?

Decorating By buttercreambrandy Updated 27 Jun 2009 , 3:04am by Lita829

buttercreambrandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercreambrandy Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 2:17am
post #1 of 7

My church has cake after church at least once a month. Baptisms, new members, confirmation, etc.

They just get a basic sheet cake... 1/2 white, 1/2 chocolate. Buttercream icing. Each serving marked off with a sweet pea.

They asked me to think about doing it. I have no idea how much to charge but I do know they pay the grocery store $35.00.

Thanks,
Brandy

6 replies
KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 2:28am
post #2 of 7

basic sheet cake, what size, how many are you planning on serving? $35 may buy more cake than your willing to make for that amount of money.

buttercreambrandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercreambrandy Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 2:42am
post #3 of 7

Serving about 75 people. I think the size is around 18 x 26 or so?

Thanks,
Brandy

sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sportsmom005 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 2:48am
post #4 of 7

Are you considering doing it for profit or just as something nice to do for your church? If it's for profit, don't let the price they pay for a grocery store cake determine what you charge. Are they asking you because they think you'll be cheaper than the grocery store? I don't bake professionally, so I can't tell you what to charge, but you need to price it so it's worth your while.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 2:52am
post #5 of 7

Holy crappola! Can you even MAKE an 18x26 for $35?????? icon_surprised.gif

An 18x26 serves 108 servings (standard 2x2x2).

I'd say if they want to pay $35 for a grocery store bakery cake, then let 'em do it. I get $150+ for a cake that size.

If you want to do it as something nice for your church, then that's your call. But if you're doing this with the idea of doing it as a business, then do it as a business.

But good golly, at least get your expenses back!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 2:52am
post #6 of 7

If you did it for free and donated it to your church, it would be good advertisement for you.................think about that......I know you can't give them a cake every time but once in a while would be good for you to do for the church while getting word out that you make delicious cakes icon_wink.gif

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:04am
post #7 of 7

I agree with Madgeowens. It would be nice to donate the cakes occasionally not only to get the word out about your baking and decorating skills but just because its a nice thing to do for a church that you are a member of thumbs_up.gif

I don't have a church home now as I am planning to relocate, but when I do become a member of a church, I'd be thrilled to donate cakes icon_biggrin.gif .

To answer your question, though, about how much you should charge (if you were to charge)....how about what they pay the grocery store....$35.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%