Vermont Vacation

Lounge By Tinarie Updated 4 Aug 2009 , 2:42am by Tinarie

Tinarie Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 8:56pm
post #1 of 7

Hello Everyone. I am planning a trip for me and my hubbie this fall and need any info or tips you can give. We live in Pensacola, Florida where it is very hot and humid. We don't get many fall colors in the fall. It would be nice to go somewhere that actually looked like fall. Any advice on places to stay or things to do would be nice.

Thanks.

6 replies
mommicakes Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 7

If you plan on coming to Vermont in the fall, try to make it the last week of September, or first week of October. Here the leaves will be almost at peak if not already there. Route 302 that runs from the coast of Maine, through the state of New Hampshire, and through Vermont is wonderful. The mountains will hold such colors you will not believe it. There are a ton of Village festivals at this time also. There is a Hot Air Balloon Festival held in Queeche, VT. which is on the way to Rutland, in the southern part of the state. There is also the Tunbridge Fair, was once called the worlds fair. Not a lot of commercial stuff, but, lots of local agriculture and good people. Check out the local Chamber of Commerce websites. If you want to visit some true tourist village, there is Stowe, and Waterbury area. It is very nice, (mostly snow village in the winter, but good rates in the fall if you want to look for them.)

PM me if you want more detail stuff I'll send you to the right websites.
icon_biggrin.gif

mommicakes Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 7

If you plan on coming to Vermont in the fall, try to make it the last week of September, or first week of October. Here the leaves will be almost at peak if not already there. Route 302 that runs from the coast of Maine, through the state of New Hampshire, and through Vermont is wonderful. The mountains will hold such colors you will not believe it. There are a ton of Village festivals at this time also. There is a Hot Air Balloon Festival held in Queeche, VT. which is on the way to Rutland, in the southern part of the state. There is also the Tunbridge Fair, was once called the worlds fair. Not a lot of commercial stuff, but, lots of local agriculture and good people. Check out the local Chamber of Commerce websites. If you want to visit some true tourist village, there is Stowe, and Waterbury area. It is very nice, (mostly snow village in the winter, but good rates in the fall if you want to look for them.)

PM me if you want more detail stuff I'll send you to the right websites.
icon_biggrin.gif

chikadodle Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 2:20am
post #4 of 7

Of course, if you visit Vermont, don't miss out on the state capital, Montpelier! (I admit I'm biased -- I live in town and have a bakery here as well.) It's a tiny little "city" of 8,000 but very well maintained and has the traditional New England feel that most visitors are looking for. Stowe is nice and definitely pretty (gondola ride up at Smugglers Notch is especially good), but it is a town that is fully designed for tourists with a lot of disposable income. Regardless of where in Vermont you decide on, it's all beautiful here in the fall. Enjoy your trip and feel free to PM me if you need any more information!

PS -- If you haven't done it already, book your accomodations!

Sox-n-Pats Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:04am
post #5 of 7

you can visit the Ben and Jerry's plant in Waterbury (which is next to Stowe), and the Cabot cheese factory is there too.

There are covered bridges, maple sugar candies, Plymouth Notch (birthplace of Calvin Coolidge), and of course Ethan Allen's birthplace in Burlington.

here are some links for you.

http://www.central-vt.com/visit/tourmap/index.html

http://www.vtattractions.org/

http://www.iexplore.com/world_travel/Vermont/Attractions

http://www.planetware.com/tourist-attractions/vermont-usvt.htm

I love Vermont. I grew up in Mass. and went to college in Rindge NH. We would go to VT all the time. As a child, we would hop in the car and "get lost" exploring in NH and VT. Oh the beauty you find when you let children decide which way to go at intersections.

Where ever you end up in VT, just let the car take you out one day. Pack a lunch and drive. We found streams and waterfalls, 200 yr old cemetaries and did stone rubbings, covered bridges, old barns.... It's a state to loose yourself.

HerBoudoir Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:37pm
post #6 of 7

I just spent a couple days in Vermont last week icon_smile.gif LONG drive from PA but we really enjoyed it. We stayed in Stowe, which I agree is touristy, but it is very "New England" in it's feel. Watch out for some of the "scenic routes" advertised on the Stowe website if you go - many of the roads are not paved nor are they well marked. The views were great, but the bf nearly killed me because he had his new car.

Some must-do's:
- King Arthur Baker's Shop (they offer classes as well if that coincides with your timing)
- Vermont Country Store (several locations - was a lot of fun browsing around)
- Vermont Teddy Bear Company (I love stuffed animals - the boyfriend got me a bear icon_smile.gif)
- Burlington ~ it's touristy, but take a boat ride (some offer lunch & dinner cruises) - it was beautiful out on the lake and really enjoyable
- Magic Hat Brewery (if you like beer)
- pack a picnic lunch and hit the road - LOADS of places to stop and enjoy!

Tinarie Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:42am
post #7 of 7

I am so excited reading your posts. Please keep them coming. We are flying to Boston and staying for two nights then staying 4 days somewhere in Vermont. I can't wait!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%