Why Is It That My Mmf Keeps On.....

Decorating By BakerzJoy Updated 29 Jun 2009 , 4:40pm by leslie2748

BakerzJoy Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 9

cracking. I swear I have tried alot of stuff to correct the problem but it keeps coming out the same way.
I love MMF and it's cheap to make, so i am sticking with this stuff. I just need some tips. If I add crisco it's too soft and tears. If i add powdered sugar to a good consistency it seems perfect until I lay it on the cake and then it cracks. I am clueless. Any tips, ideas or anything would be so helpful!! Thanks guys!!

8 replies
jimandmollie Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 9

Try adding less powdered sugar. I usually leave about a cup in the bag. Also, use cornstarch on your board when you roll it out instead of more powdered sugar. That is what I do and I haven't had any problems. Hope that helps!

ttehan4 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 9

The weather is horrible on the mmf. Sometimes when I used it I would get a batch like that and would pitch it and start a new one. I have used mmf until recently and I tried the MFF. It is way better and is about the same cost. It was so much easier to work with and a bettter finish.

susanscakecreations Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 9

Are you using the jet puffed marshmallows? I used them one time, and that happened...............so don't use the jet puffed! ANd yes, the humidity here in the South is horrible sometimes for fondant!!!!!!!
Good luck!!

cheatize Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:59am
post #5 of 9

Corn syrup. I was having difficulties off and on with marshmallow fondant until I started adding a little corn syrup to it. It improves flexibility and lessens cracking. If you add too much, you will get elephant skin. If that happens, knead in a little powdered sugar to bring it back to the right consistency.

Lita829 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 4:10am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandmollie

Try adding less powdered sugar. I usually leave about a cup in the bag. Also, use cornstarch on your board when you roll it out instead of more powdered sugar. That is what I do and I haven't had any problems. Hope that helps!

I do the same thing except when I roll it out, I smear a little shortening on the counter instead of cornstarch or powdered sugar. I've haven't had any problems doing it this way.

Renaejrk Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 4:18am
post #7 of 9

be careful with the corn syrup - they have changed the consistency and it has more liquid in it - it is really affecting MFF because it's one of the main ingredients! We are experimenting to try to figure out how to fix this, though!

BakerzJoy Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:33pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks everyone, I'll be trying somemore ideas.

leslie2748 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:40pm
post #9 of 9

hwords for you...MICHELE FOSTER'S FONDANT.
I could not believe how perfect that stuff came out, absolutely amazing. Way better tasting and pliable! I have done blind taste tests on my family and it gets great reviews.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%