Practice Wedding Cake - Need Your Opinion

Decorating By ZlatkaT Updated 5 Jul 2009 , 8:44pm by Uniqueask

ZlatkaT Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 27

I just finished my practice wedding cake (the top), I am getting very nervous for the real one, and doubt my ability to do a wedding cake, I think I am not ready yet. The cake would be for my friend, and I told her I would do my best..anyway I will show her the cake today, and will see. My questions for you is how to avoid the problems I had today.
1) Cream cheese frosting (recipe from CC - "wedding crusting cream cheese): I had a very hard time to smooth it - I used the technique Edna shows in you-tube. Still cannot get sharp corners; cannot get very smooth finish (I used hot knife). Then put in the fridge to get cold, tried paper towel, it get sticky and I made more damage with that. I was putting the cake to and out of the fridge so many times. Would that be the problem???
2) Is there any tips of how to stack cream cheese cakes, because of the sticky icing?? I am worried now.
Funny thing is that my crumb coat crusted very nice, but the frosted cake was very sticky and hard to work with. Sorry for long post, I wanted to explain, and I am discouraged. icon_sad.gif
Please look at this picture and tell me how to make it better. Thank you
LL

26 replies
ZlatkaT Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 27

oh I forgot to mention, that I did use butter in the recipe to get more Ivory look (3/4 C Crisco+1/2C butter)??

SJ169 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 27

sorry im not much help i do mostly fondant cakes..sorry icon_sad.gif
heres a bump icon_smile.gif
good luck!!! dont get discouraged

Stephi1 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 27

I haven't used the Cream Cheese icing and don't really have an answer - just words of encouragement. I think it is very nice and you are ready for Wedding Cakes. Chin up! You are doing great!

djs328 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 27

I don't know if I can help at all, but I really like the design! Quite elegant. I think it looks very nice!!

sandeeb Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 27

Hi, I find cream cheese icing very hard to work with. By the way I think your cake looks pretty good. When I use cream cheese icing I usually mix in a little butter cream; just enough to stabalize the cream cheese. I usually don't do a cream cheese icing because it is so hard to work with.
I'm sure you'll get some good responses.

sandeeb

jimandmollie Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 8:29pm
post #7 of 27

My advice to you is to use the cream cheese in between your layers and then use indydebi's recipe for the outside. Her icing crusts so well and is so easy to work with. Get one of the foam rollers like Melvira showed us. Melvira's method is on the home page towards the bottom. I think your design work is awesome! Hang in there with the smoothing, I am having problems too.

DeeDelightful Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 8:40pm
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandmollie

My advice to you is to use the cream cheese in between your layers and then use indydebi's recipe for the outside. Her icing crusts so well and is so easy to work with. Get one of the foam rollers like Melvira showed us. Melvira's method is on the home page towards the bottom. I think your design work is awesome! Hang in there with the smoothing, I am having problems too.

I agree. I would do that or add 1 pkg cream cheese to some stiff consistency crusting buttercream, like Indydebi's with less than the amount of milk called for. Make Indydebi's recipe, without the milk, beat in softened cream cheese. You may find you need a LOT less milk or none at all. It may reduce the Cream cheese flavor, but I tell customers that regular cream cheese frosting is not a decorating icing and may not give the results they intended.

ZlatkaT Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 9:48pm
post #9 of 27

Hmm, I would need to taste the buttercream with cream cheese. If the taste is like regular cream cheese, that would be the solution. Thank you for your help.

Unlimited Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 2:53am
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDelightful

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandmollie

I agree. I would do that or add 1 pkg cream cheese to some stiff consistency crusting buttercream, like Indydebi's with less than the amount of milk called for. Make Indydebi's recipe, without the milk, beat in softened cream cheese. You may find you need a LOT less milk or none at all. It may reduce the Cream cheese flavor, but I tell customers that regular cream cheese frosting is not a decorating icing and may not give the results they intended.

I agree... I think it doesn't matter how yummy the cream cheese icing is if you run the risk of eating it off the floor.

cheatize Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:04am
post #11 of 27

I've tried half a dozen cream cheese icings that are supposed to be crusting, but they never crust for me. By the time I add enough powdered sugar to get it stiff enough to pipe or crust, it only faintly tastes like cream cheese. Right now, I'm searching for cream cheese flavoring that I could add to a regular buttercream recipe, but no luck so far. I've read that one doesn't exist so I may have to skip messing with cream cheese icing altogether. I know I'm sick and tired of trying recipes that just don't work for me.

quietude Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:13am
post #12 of 27

I would go with using it as a filling as well, cream cheese is pretty tricky to work with. Your sample looks great though, don't be discouraged!!!

tonedna Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:25am
post #13 of 27

You chose a really tough icing..that looks like a soft creamcheese icing..The problem with creamcheese icing is that is sticky, is non crusting and the towel paper sticks.
There is a crusting creamcheese icing recipe in my website. The flavor of creamcheese is milder, but you can use the towel paper technique.

Sharp corners come with experience, same as knowing the best consistency for your icing and the different icings that are out there.

I still think you did a wonderful job.

If I was you, I would do the crusting creamcheese icing for the outside and make a stronger creamcheese flavor for the filling. That way you dont loose the
flavor or the looks.

Hope this helps!
Edna icon_smile.gif

mclaren Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 6:48am
post #14 of 27

this is the cream cheese icing recipe that i always use for my carrot cake, and smoothing (hot spatula) has never been a problem for me, sorry the measurements are in grams:

120g butter / shortening (i always use half butter and half shortening)
250g cream cheese
120g PS

here's one of the cakes i used this cream cheese icing recipe, that i managed to take a picture of:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa272/mclaren722/Picture271008999.jpg

our weather here is hot and humid, i've never tested it hours under hot sun, but so far indoors without a/c it has held up well, didn't melt or pool around the cake.

dhccster Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 9:08am
post #15 of 27

I think you did a great job. I agree with the others about the filling being more flavored with cream cheese and a milder cream cheese icing that crusts really well for the decorating. I am sure your friend is going to love it. The design looks very beautiful.

G_Cakes Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 10:25am
post #16 of 27

I think you did a wonderful job on this cake and if this was just practice I cant wait to see the real thing icon_smile.gif

I have not worked with cream cheese frosting for anything that required a smooth finish but I do have an idea.

I learned a little trick from my Wilton instructor (Andrea) and I think it may help you out as far as smoothing goes.

Fill a glass or mug with hot water and dip your spatula in it to heat up the blade.

Wipe it dry then use it to smooth out your icing. This works like a dream on BC and SMBC so I cant see why it wouldn't work on the cream cheese.

But the thing to remember it to make sure you wipe it dry before smoothing out your icing, specially with butter cream. If you don't you icing will wind up with spots or as my instructor referred to it icing chicken pox.

It wont hurt the icing but it will look funny ...Hope this helps you out icon_smile.gif

matthewkyrankelly Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 12:06pm
post #17 of 27

I use a cream cheese recipe all the time: 8 oz cream cheese, 8 oz butter, 2 lbs sugar, regular vanilla(adds to ivory color) and any other flavorings.

Now, I promise you you can do this with this frosting. Freeze the layers. Tort fill crumb any way you want with this frosting. I put the final layer of frosting on while each tier is still frozen or cold. This frosting sets up quickly then. When you've almost got it frosted and are ready to smooth, do your best, then Run your spatula under HOT water and use it to smooth the surface entirely. I do this right next to the sink. You only get about one pull through the frosting with each hot rinse of the spatula. Also, it is important to make sure the spatula is rinsed clean before each smoothing swipe. Last, by working with a frozen cake, the smoothed parts set right back up. You can get razor sharp corners this way, too.

Good luck! I think the butter recipe will be better for you. Make a small sample with a frozen cake. I think you'll like it.

ZlatkaT Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 1:20pm
post #18 of 27

OK, last night we sampled the cake, and I talk out my friend of the cream cheese icing. I will do cream cheese filling, then a Buttercream cream with a cream cheese icing and add ivory color to it. I hope that would work better. So this should be solved. Now may I ask more Q??
1)She wanted dark chocolate scrolls. Could I just add melted chocolate to the buttercream? Will the color be like reall chocolate? I need to do the borders as well, so it needs to be nice piping consintency, and dark.
2)She wanted 2 fillings (I did 3). Than I need to bake each pan 3 times. Would that be to high (close to 6"). What is typical for a wedding cake?
Thank you everyone for a nice comments and your help!!!!!!

RachieRach Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 3:03am
post #19 of 27

I think your practice cake looks great - love the scrolls.
Yes - you can add melted chocolate to your buttercream recipe. There are quite a few chocolate buttercream recipes here on cake central.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Recipes&sort=recipename&sort_dir=ASC&op=search&chname=X&chingredients=X&searchtext=chocolate+buttercream&cat_id=-1&x=11&y=21

(first time linking so I hope it works. If not, just go to recipes and search chocolate buttercream). Can't wait to see the final cake.

tonedna Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 3:09pm
post #20 of 27

The typicall height for a wedding cake is 4 inches tall.
Edna icon_smile.gif

EvMarie Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 9:29pm
post #21 of 27

I'm glad you worked out the cream cheese thing. I tried it on the bottom tier of a 3 tiered cake. I didn't have a smooth/crusting issue because I pressed sparkly white sugar on all tiers. (It was for a Christmas party) Anyway, I did notice that the cream cheese icing was a bit more tempermental.

I don't have answers for the chocolate scrolls but on the proportions, if you have been looking around on CC and other places you'll find that people do all sorts of things with different height's on the tiers. Most look beautiful. But, being new, I'd be careful. I personally stink in this area. So, I actually make paper mock up's. I whip out my scissors, printer paper & scotch tape. I create my 3d rounds and stack. I know - I'm a loser...

But, it saves me the guess work. AND, if you have tiers that are close in diameter, be mindful of the border thickness applied. Meaning, when you stack a layer on top of a larger layer. You only have so much room left on the top of the bottom layer to apply borders.

Sorry for the long post. But, being new, I've discovered these things & thought they might be helpful. I'm an ex-accountant...so it may take me longer to "unclinch" the check box part of my mind. Sometimes these things don't come sooo easy to me.

I'm sure you'll do great. Your sample looks yummy for sure! Just take your time & remember to relax ...oh, and give yourself plenty of time.

icon_smile.gif

ZlatkaT Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 5:35pm
post #22 of 27

I am on my second practice now. As some of you suggested, I used regular Buttercream icing (Wilton class recipe) and add 1 cream cheese to it to achieve "cream cheese icing". It tastes good. BUT it sits on my counter for 2 hours and still not crusting. Should I give it more time, or it looks to you it would not crust. Normally this recipe, without cream cheese crust in 15 minutes. I was going to put it in the fridge, but my hubby says NO NO! I don't know what to do now. It is sticky for Viva towel, and with hot spatula I cannot achieve the nice smooth. What do you think. Should I give some more time? We have a sunny day btw.
???

tinygoose Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 5:49pm
post #23 of 27

Well, glad to know I'm not the only one who has had problems with cream cheese buttercream. I made a red velvet w/cr. ch. bc and it was ok, but I could not get the smoothness I'm used to from SMBC, and it only had a mild cream cheese flavor. I like the idea of using CCheese in the layers and reg. icing on the outside.

ZlatkaT Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 1:27pm
post #24 of 27

First of all I would like to THANK YOU all of you for all the help and support you gave me. I would like to share my second practice cake, and I think it looks much better than the first one. As I still had problem with the icing, I talk out my friend-client of the cream cheese, so now will do just buttercream. I feel better now. Thank you again!!! Here we go
LL

ZlatkaT Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 1:28pm
post #25 of 27

First of all I would like to THANK YOU all of you for all the help and support you gave me. I would like to share my second practice cake, and I think it looks much better than the first one. As I still had problem with the icing, I talk out my friend-client of the cream cheese, so now will do just buttercream. I feel better now. Thank you again!!! Here we go
LL

chryscrazy Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 7:56pm
post #26 of 27

your piping is beautiful!

Uniqueask Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 8:44pm
post #27 of 27

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6877-Cream-Cheese-Frosting-crusting.html is

I actually use this recipe, and it works really well. maybe next time you can try it. And your work is beautiful do not be discouraged, and I use cocoa power in my butter cream recipe, because melted chocolate makes mine light and soft, also if paper towel does not work try using copy paper, and you may want to invest in SugarShack's DVD's they really teach you a lot her site is www.SugaredProductions.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%