Egg Alergy And Cake

Decorating By gatorcakes Updated 29 Jun 2009 , 10:09pm by gatorcakes

gatorcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcakes Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 10

I am new to cake making/decorating and have a son with a severe egg allergy. The decorations (besides Royal Icing) seem to be egg-free so I don't have problems with them. Sadly, I have had an enormous amount of trouble getting cake that doesn't crumble using egg replacer. Does anyone know of a secret to baking a non-cumbly cake without eggs?

Thank you!

9 replies
katoomba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katoomba Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 10

My son is allergic to eggs too. I use Ener-G egg replacer and I add milled flax seed. Most boxed cakes use 3 eggs and that is just too much for Ener-G egg replacer so the Flax seed helps. I can't make really large cakes with it though. If you search for "wacky cake' -- that is supposed to be a good recipe but I have not tried it yet.

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 10

I stumbled across this website. They show how to make a cake using cake mix and pop instead of eggs or oil. I haven't tried it myself, but it looks like it worked out for them!

http://www.omnomicon.com/rainbowcake

supermama322 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
supermama322 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 9:19pm
post #4 of 10

I found this recipe and tweaked it when I had an order a little while ago for an eggless cake. It was for a little girl with egg allergies. It rose beautifully and my customer called to let me know it was absolutely delicious and no one could tell it was eggless. It's very important to follow the directions EXACTLY. Especially the part about stirring it ONLY 7 times. The reaction between vinegar and baking soda rises the cake. This makes only 1 eight inch cake. You would have to double it for a 9x13 (that's what I did). This recipe is easy to multiply. (The cake I used this recipe for is the blue Toodee cake in my photos.)

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 1 cup 1%
* 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
* 1 1/2 tablespoon vinegar

Directions

Heat oven to 350°F
Prepare cake pan: Line 8-inch round or square cake pan with parchment paper and grease bottom and sides of the pan. Then flour the pan.
Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
Add vegetable oil, soy milk, and vanilla extract; whisk until no lumps appear and batter is smooth.
Add vinegar, stir about seven times, and quickly pour into pan.
Bake around 30 minutes, until cake begins to pull away from sides and/or toothpick inserted in the center pulls out clean.
Let sit for ten to fifteen minutes, invert, and cool on rack.

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 9:39pm
post #5 of 10

I made an eggless cake for a friend who is allergic to eggs. I used the "Eggless Chocolate cake II" recipe on here! icon_smile.gif It came out tasting utterly 'licious! icon_smile.gif Kind of like a Snackwell's devil's food, but BIG! icon_smile.gif

I covered it in my basic buttercream and black Satin Ice fondant (it's the "Michelle" amplifier in my gallery).

I would use that recipe again even for folks that can eat eggs.

Good luck!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 2:17am
post #6 of 10

Have you tried any vegan cake recipes? They're all eggless, of course. I made a chocolate marble pound cake one for a friend, and it was surprisingly tasty! icon_smile.gif

gatorcakes Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 8:39pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you, everyone. I made the soda pop cake and am going to attempt to carve it today. I really appreciate your help.

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 6:45am
post #8 of 10

Let me know how it works out for ya!

gatorcakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:06am
post #9 of 10

okay, so I made the BC and now I am terrified to do anything with the cake. Sheesh.

gatorcakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 10:09pm
post #10 of 10

thanks for everyone's help. The soda pop cake carves well. I don't have a lot of experience with carving, but I got the shape I needed without crumbs everywhere. It will make my son's bday cake so much better!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%