"the Goiter That Swallowed The Cake!"

Decorating By JGMB Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 4:53am by sweetcakes

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 3

I was asked to make 3 different cakes on Tuesday, all buttercream.

The first one turned out exactly as planned, no problem.

The next one, I was trying to do drop strings, but they would fall off about 3 minutes after I had made them. So, I had to do a ridiculous makeshift cornelli lace to cover up the smudges.

The last one was the cake from he@@!!! Part of the edges stuck to the pan, so it wasn't quite round. Then I iced it and realized I'd forgotten to level it.

The worst part, though, was that I was totally finished decorating and already wasn't pleased with the outcome -- then I noticed that this HUGE air bubble had formed on top of the cake, right beside the piped message. Honestly, it was like a horror movie (hence the title of this thread). How could this have happened? I had crumbcoated, then chilled, then applied the frosting. I used the bench scraper to smooth the top, then did the Viva method, pressing fairly hard as I went. So, where did the massive "goiter" come from? I ended up popping it several times with a toothpick, so I had to cover the resulting mess with an ugly blue blob. icon_redface.gif Luckily, my nice friend didn't laugh at the cake . . . at least not in front of me!

2 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 1:16am
post #2 of 3

I want to see the goiter! You make it sound so interesting!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 4:53am
post #3 of 3

im jsut wondering, do you ice the top first or the sides? ive worked at a bakery where the other decorators cake would also grow a bump like that, she iced the sides as she iced the top. i on the other hand ice the top first, then apply icing around the sides. and i very very rarely get a bump. im wondering if icing the top first apllying pressure downwards kind of pushes out the excess air pockets, where as sealing the sides as you cover the top perhaps traps it in. the cakes at the bakery were deep chilled, nearly frozen so we were both decorating the same kinds of cakes. just a thought

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%