Cake Split - Help!!!!

Decorating By GeminiCake Updated 27 Jun 2009 , 3:30am by cheatize

GeminiCake Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 9

My husband was flipping cake out of pan, and it split. Is there a way to fix or do I need to re-bake the cake? It is a 12x18 sheet cake that is red velvet with cream cheese icing?

8 replies
Loucinda Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 9

No, I would just use some icing to glue the pieces back together - then crumbcoat and ice as usual. I bake half rounds for wedding cakes, and they have to be "glued" together.

Renaejrk Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 9

yeah - don't re-bake! bakers "piece" cakes together for all different reasons, i.e. 3d cakes, etc. Don't worry about it, just "glue" it back together and voila!

cakes22 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 9

a good crumb coat should keep it together. Happens to me alot. No worries.! thumbs_up.gif

cakebaker1957 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 9

Usually if i have a really big crack ,i squirt icing into the hole and start patching it(: Works good

Rylan Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 5:30pm
post #6 of 9

I agree, no one would ever no the difference once it is crumbcoated.... well unless if it is done incorrectly.

Good luck.

annieluz Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 8:58pm
post #7 of 9

omg the same exact thing happend to me last night... I almost cried! I flipped the 12x18 cake onto the cooling rack and I guess I missed the edge and a huge piece cracked off! so I flipped it back into the pan, patched it up, wrapped it tightly in syran wrap a froze... let's see how it looks when I get home tonight!

GOOD LUCK!

DeeDelightful Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 9:03pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by annieluz

omg the same exact thing happend to me last night... I almost cried! I flipped the 12x18 cake onto the cooling rack and I guess I missed the edge and a huge piece cracked off! so I flipped it back into the pan, patched it up, wrapped it tightly in syran wrap a froze... let's see how it looks when I get home tonight!

GOOD LUCK!

Ha! It's going to be perfect! I had to patch one last night also. i squeezed icing into the split, pressed the sides of the cake, crumb coated, let it crust, and iced really well. I forgot it was split until i read this post. that cake turned out great.

cheatize Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:30am
post #9 of 9

I had one split on me a few weeks back. I'm making a tutorial of how I repaired for my blog right now.
Basically, using a piping bag with a coupler but no tip, pipe a thick line of icing on each side of the split. Put one side on your board then place the other side right up against it- try to get it where you want it the first time. Pipe another line to fill in any spaces and then pipe more wherever you need to put a chunk of cake back in.
Do the same thing with the top piece if you've torted the cake.
Mine was a 16 inch torted oval that had a torted and filled character cake on top. Once it was crumb coated, you couldn't tell anything had happened. It was plenty sturdy enough to hold the character cake (with dowels, of course).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%