Red Velvet Cake!!! Help

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 26 Jun 2009 , 5:47pm by Jeannem

cakebaker1957 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 8

Ok im doing a cake for a couple in July, they want a Red Velvet cake.The wedding is out side So i told them i didnt think its a good ideal to do Cream cheese icing because of melting ans so on. Can i do this cake with just Bc and it taste good? im using Box mixes and with out the cream cheese icing i dont know what it will taste like.Any ideals on this one ?Please help
Thank you

7 replies
Jeannem Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 8

I think it's just a matter of preference...I don't use cream cheese frosting on my red velvet cake. This cake can stand alone on it's flavor. Perhaps you could try the lorann oil cream cheese flavor as an option.

cakebaker1957 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannem

I think it's just a matter of preference...I don't use cream cheese frosting on my red velvet cake. This cake can stand alone on it's flavor. Perhaps you could try the lorann oil cream cheese flavor as an option.

The only thing is i use boxed cake mixes. and i bet yours is a scratch cake, Thanks for the info

joviolette Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 8

I did a wedding cake in May that was RV and because it couldn't be refrigerated I needed another option. Although I like to do all scratch baking and fillings it just wasn't gonna work this time. I ended up mixing a sleeve of cream cheese filling from the cake store with buttercream icing and it worked well. The buttercream added some sweetness to the CC sleeve and no one knew the difference. icon_razz.gif

Rylan Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 8

Regular buttercream is okay with red velvet. I agree, maybe try adding some flavoring to the BC.

klat7292 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 8

I use BC with Red Velvet all the time...the red velvet that I use is a DH box mix...but it tastes awesome together...and i don't any 'extra' flavoring! icon_wink.gif

HTH

cakebaker1957 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 5:42pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by klat7292

I use BC with Red Velvet all the time...the red velvet that I use is a DH box mix...but it tastes awesome together...and i don't any 'extra' flavoring! icon_wink.gif

HTH

thanks i guess thats what i will do, Where i live at its hard to get the flavored Sleeves

Jeannem Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 5:47pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannem

The only thing is i use boxed cake mixes. and i bet yours is a scratch cake, Thanks for the info

I'm confused--I don't understand why you couldn't use buttercreme orcream cheese flavor in your frosting if it's a box cake?? I think box cakes are yummy too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%