Half Ball Cake On An 8In Round Layer...support Question...

Decorating By realjen01 Updated 27 Jun 2009 , 3:23am by quietude

realjen01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
realjen01 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 6

Can I place a Wilton half ball cake on an 8inch 2-layer cake without support? Or do I need to place the dowel rods, etc as with a tier cake?

I'm a newb to cake decorating--Thanks in advance!

5 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 6

IMO, I would. Put it on it's own board and some dowels. I am sure there will be folks who wouldn't though! icon_wink.gif

noyhoward Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noyhoward Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 6

I did my ladybug cake & I put 4 dowels on a 10" & 1 long one in the center going through the ladybug & the 10".It traveled for 30 miles w/o a problem.

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 6

If it were me, it would depend on how far it was going to be transported. I like to dowel anything if I transport by myself because I live on a gravel road with lots of bumps/potholes/wash boards etc. If I have someone to drive while I hold the cake, then I wouldn't in this case, but if you want to be sure . . . dowel! (the ease of mind option is always the less stressful option to take when dealing with one of your 'creations')

realjen01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
realjen01 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:17am
post #5 of 6

I think I was most concerned with it being structurally sound. I didn't want the half ball to collapse into the larger round cake. Thanks again!

quietude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quietude Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:23am
post #6 of 6

I would definitely place it on its own cake board and use the dowels icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%