Rice Krispy Treats-- Store-Bought Or Homemade??

Decorating By cupcakeco Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 6:35am by andiesweet

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 9

Curious! What are people's opinions on taste, manageability, etc.? I'm going to be incorporating a few RKT pieces in the cake I'm doing... so I'd like to get a consensus on what is generally used.

Also, would the texture be smoother if the RKT is somewhat 'crushed' IE air pockets taken out by sort of compacting the RKT?

8 replies
DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 9

I've never used RKT for a cake, but i would imagine homemade ones would be more pliable and easier to work wtih than store bought. Plus, the flavor would be fresher. The storebought ones taste manufactured and artificial to me. I never really liked them.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 9

Homemade if I'm eating them. Pre-Packaged for sculpting use and don't have time to make a batch.

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 9

It depends on what I'm doing with them.

I did a Mini-Cooper cake a few weeks ago and made the car out of rkt. Since it was going to be sculpted and covered in fondant I wanted it as compact and hard as I could get it. So I made homemade and boiled the marshmallows for several minutes (they turned kind of a brownish hue) so they would cool very hard and I could really mush them together so it wouldn't be too bumpy and I could carve it.

But then realized that I was going to have to lift the car off the cake by an inch or two - ran out to the pantry and grabbed a treat, covered it with the same fondant as the cake - and voila - instant pedestal!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 9

Since I don't eat rice krispies (only in RKT), I use the store bought. I compact them as tight as possible and then I warn whoever gets the cake that it is RKT, but compacted down, so they may not want to eat that part of the cake and save their teeth!

Kaiah723 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaiah723 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 9

I have only used rice krispie treats in a cake once and I used the store bought ones and compacted them together and covered it with fondant. I thought it was pretty easy but have never used homemade so cant really compare which ones are easier to work with for sculpting. HTH

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 6:29am
post #7 of 9

I use store bought because I'm lazy to make things.

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 6:31am
post #8 of 9

store brought

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 6:35am
post #9 of 9

If you make your own you can leave out the butter which will make the RKT's stiffer when you get your hape molded. It takes a few minutes to make and is cheaper, so i make mine

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%