How To Get Conf Sugar Off Of Fondant?

Decorating By MomOf2BlueEyedGirls Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 6:36am by Rylan

MomOf2BlueEyedGirls Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 10

Silly question......

How do I get it off of the fondant once I am done? Am I using too much powdered sugar if I am having trouble getting it off?

9 replies
JawdroppingCakes Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 10

I dip my brush in a bowl of water and brush it away. Do keep in mind that the fondant stays wet for a little bit but it dries. I do this on all my cakes. When I am done I brush the whole cake or if it is a small mess I just wet a paper towel and wipe it off.

amy1988 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 10

I saw somewhere that you can dip your brush in a little vodka. I did it once and it does the trick!
Good Luck!

ibmoser Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 10

Alcohol works well and evaporates faster than water - either lemon extract or vodka. Airbrush it on or find a spray bottle with a very fine mist. You can also clean it off with shortening - on a soft cloth for flat areas or a brush to work gently into details. Key to all techniques is gentle pressure thumbs_up.gif

sugarcheryl Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 1:59am
post #5 of 10

I just brush it off and then use some shortening to take the dullness off.

tinygoose Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 2:06am
post #6 of 10

I dry brush off any excess then airbrush with vodka. no airbrush?
A damp, not wet, paintbrush with vodka works too. Too wet your fondant becomes shiny in places.

Valgal820 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 5:24am
post #7 of 10

I "buff" it with a cotton ball or Q-tip.

icer101 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 5:55am
post #8 of 10

ok.. this is not a silly question.. sugarshack.. a c/cer on this site.. the queen of cakes in my opinion.. always ... uses a paper towel with little crisco on it.. rubs her cakes really good with lite coating of crisco. then uses a clean paper towel and buffs it up.. she shows this in her fondant dvd and her boxes and bows dvd and i think in her topsy turvy dvd. she has a buttercream dvd also. if you do not have them. please , when you can, buy them.. they are not that expensive. all of her dvds are great teaching guides. no matter how long you have decorated.. she is the tops in my opinion.

Juliequeen Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 5:57am
post #9 of 10

Airbrush using vodka... if you don't have an airbrush you can use a spray bottle filled with vodka. Works just the same.

Rylan Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 6:36am
post #10 of 10

I use crisco and then wipe it off with a paper towel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%