How Long Takes You Baking A Cake N The Oven??

Decorating By ZlatkaT Updated 26 Jun 2009 , 3:46pm by playingwithsugar

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:35pm
post #1 of 6

I know I have an old oven, and it still works icon_lol.gif , but baking my cakes takes me over an hour. Yesterday I baked 6" Red velvet cake, using Sarah's recipe, and by her chart it should be done at 30 minutes. I baked mine for 50 minutes, the bottom was a little bit over baked and the middle just done. Would that help if I lower the temperature (normally I bake at 350), or lowering temperature could dry the cake out?????

5 replies
sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 6

It sounds like your heating element is not working right. If it is an electric oven they are fairly easy to replace.

My cakes are usually done when I go running through the house and yell, " Oh Sh1t ! There's a cake in the oven!"

I tend to get distracted easily icon_redface.gif . I cook pizza the same way. It does always turn out perfect though. icon_razz.gif

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 6

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
I have an old gas oven, maybe Santa brings me new one.
I am pretty much timing my baking, but when I smell the cake, the middle is still not done. On larger cake pan I am using the heating cores, but the small one are trouble.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 6

My oven doesn't heat quite right either. I bought a cheap oven thermostat at Walmart to keep inside. I use that to go by to tell the actual temp of my oven. This has really helped me in getting my cakes to bake up nicely.

jdelaney81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelaney81 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 6

I have a gas oven also. Lowering the temp has never dried my cakes out. I usually bake my cakes at 325deg for about 35-45 min. I know that placement in a gas oven can effect the too don on bottom issue. I bake mine at the top or second from top level. Not sure if this helps, but hope Santa is good to you this year! icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:46pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

I bought a cheap oven thermostat at Walmart to keep inside.

You mean thermometer, don't you? icon_lol.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%