Goodbye Farrah

Lounge By bobwonderbuns Updated 11 Jul 2009 , 7:22am by Kazoot

bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 9

I don't usually come back here to the lounge but I'm saddened over the passing of Farrah Fawcett. I had the same kind of cancer she had (only in another area) years ago along with another strain and got through it with flying colors. She fought a valiant fight only to have this monster rip her life from her. I do a lot work with cancer patients -- teach them cookie decorating at Gilda's Club, etc. because of my experiences so it's not uncommon for me to have women in my class with their heads in scarves just coming back from their chemo treatments because they know they won't be able to move for a week after that. It's not uncommon at all. It is, however, immensely heartbreaking which makes my job that much more worthwhile. For a little while I can help take their minds off their troubles. I only hope that Farrah's journey helps educate the public and makes a positive impact on the medical community. She was my role model when I was growing up and an inspiration in her fight against cancer. It's just heartbreaking to lose her. Anyway, thanks for listening.

8 replies
Bijoudelanuit Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 9

I agree.. I saw something last night and they featured a documentary that she made about her battle with cancer... I was so impressed at what an amazing person she was! She was extremely brave and I hope now she in is complete peace...

What is Gilda's Club? It sounds like a wonderful cause to be involved with!

bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 9

Gilda's Club is named for former Saturday Night Live actress Gilda Radner. She was married to Gene Wilder in real life. When they were married he had a place in Connecticut and she had a place in LA so they went back and forth. She developed Ovarian cancer and when she was in LA she had friends as her support but nobody back East. So she started a little club as it were for people who were affected by cancer so nobody would ever have to go through that alone. After she died Gene Wilder invited some friends to continue the legacy and there are probably 20 Gilda's Clubs nationwide and I'm not sure how many worldwide. There's a new order at the one I work at (one I'm not too happy about) so I've cut back my hours there. But I still do the cookie thing privately for the same women. It is a great cause! If I can only take their minds off their troubles for a little while... icon_rolleyes.gif

-Tubbs Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 5:11am
post #4 of 9

It is sad. I was sorry that the Michael Jackson story pretty much wiped out anything about Farrah, and the benefits there could have been in talking about colorectal cancer.

mkolmar Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 12:44am
post #5 of 9

Couldn't agree more tubbs. It's sad Michael died, but Farrah's death is sad also and hasn't received the press needed. The news should be reporting on her cancer and signs for other people and such.

cookieswithdots Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 9

I couldn't agree more. I am a rectal cancer survivor and I was thinking that her death would also help to get the word out about screening, etc. I am very sad about her death. She handled her cancer with such class and she'll be missed. I'm glad to read others who feel the same.

Melissa

cookieswithdots Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:26pm
post #7 of 9

I couldn't agree more. I am a rectal cancer survivor and I was thinking that her death would also help to get the word out about screening, etc. I am very sad about her death. She handled her cancer with such class and she'll be missed. I'm glad to read others who feel the same.

Melissa

cookieswithdots Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:27pm
post #8 of 9

Melissa

Kazoot Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 7:22am
post #9 of 9

I saw "Farrah's Story" too. What courage and strength she showed. She never whined or complained---such class. I was saddened by the media coverage, or should I say no media coverage, of her. She deserved so much more. I hope she knew Jesus and is at peace now. Bless all of her loved ones.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%