Very Worried About Customer Liking Cake!

Decorating By springlakecake Updated 26 Jun 2009 , 1:51pm by matthewkyrankelly

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 11:46am
post #1 of 8

I am worried about the cake a customer will pick up today. When she called she asked more than once if I baked from scratch. I have just started baking from scratch, but it is still pretty new to me. So of course I made sure the cake I made for her was from scratch. Anyway the decorating went well, so that isnt a problem. But I was able to sample the scraps and it seems like the crumb is much more coarse than I remember this recipe being. I don't know if I did something wrong or not! It isnt dry, but it just feels weird on my tounge. I realize that the texture of scratch cakes are often different from boxed cakes, so I hope I am being paranoid. I am just really afraid they arent going to like it! Like I said, it doesnt taste bad, it's just different. Do I just wait to see if she complains?

7 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 11:55am
post #2 of 8

Unless you are going to make it completely over, just give it to her in all confidence and cross your fingers. I'm sure it's fine. You tasted the scraps. If it was moist enough and had the right flavor, I'm sure it will be fine. Have a glass of wine and relax a little. Any anxiety will show to the customer.

springlakecake Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 12:00pm
post #3 of 8

I definitely can't make it over. icon_cry.gif

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 12:21pm
post #4 of 8

Try not to worry, I'm sure it's fine - and definitely don't start over! As she has requested scratch she will be used to 'scratch' texture - if you had done something wrong you would be able to taste it in the scraps.

karateka Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 12:22pm
post #5 of 8

It will be fine!

thumbs_up.gif

springlakecake Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 12:32pm
post #6 of 8

oh goodness! I hope so! She is paying me quite a bit for it, so I wish I was more confident.

I just got out a cupcake (from the same batch) that I put in the freezer...and that was good....so I don't know if it could somehow be different?

I am just trying to prepare myself in case she complains about it. What to say, not to say? oh I hate worrying!

karateka Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 8

You must be confident in your baking. If she complains, you tell her that you sampled the cake yourself and all was as expected. You have baked this recipe before with no issues. You are sorry it wasn't what she expected, but she did get what she contracted for.

All will be fine! Give it to her as though it is everything she is expecting, and smile and don't look worried. If you give her any cause to think you aren't happy with it, she will pick up on that and look for stuff to be wrong.

It's going to be fine.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:51pm
post #8 of 8

Buck up! You made a good cake. Smile promise them it is delicious. You tried it. It is. Don't fear. The worst thing that could happen is that they don't like it, But that is so remote. Remember, even Julia Child dropped a roast on her kitchen floor once. What did she do? She said, pick up the roast, serve it and smile. No one needs to know what happens behind the scenes or how worried you are.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%