Cake Bible

Decorating By Barb00 Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 2:24am by sweettoothmom1

Barb00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb00 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 11:20am
post #1 of 14

Ok, I am new to cake decorating and getting an education on cake baking. I see many references to the Cake Bible. When I google it, there is more than one title/author for Cake Bible. Which is the true, "gospel" Cake Bible? Sounds like it is full of wonderful information!

13 replies
Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 11:31am
post #2 of 14

That would be the thick tome of Rose Levy Beranbaum.

icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 12:34pm
post #3 of 14

Here is a link to some discussion on that very book!

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-637966.html

Barb00 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 2:24am
post #4 of 14

Thanks. Guess I missed that other discussion going on.

DDarkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDarkey Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 14

You can also google the word "cake decorating"

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb00

Ok, I am new to cake decorating and getting an education on cake baking. I see many references to the Cake Bible. When I google it, there is more than one title/author for Cake Bible. Which is the true, "gospel" Cake Bible? Sounds like it is full of wonderful information!

There is no gospel cake book like you are saying. Rose wrote a book and she called it the cake bible but in caking just like most everything else (not like packing a parachute I guess) you read and absorb all you can and you make your own choices.

There is not sucha baking book that says and does it all.
There's not one all inclusive compendium by any means.
If there were it would not be her book.

It's just a name.

I just googled 'cake bible' and every listing on the first two pages refer to Rose's book.

Let me recommend that you not start with that book--go with Nick Maglieri or watch Alton Brown make a cake or Dorie Greenspan--tons of great how to make a cake books--Colette Peters, Sylvia Weinstock, Scott Clark Wooley.

Shoot, the old red Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook gives great step by step pictures of how to make a cake.

Go pick up a cookbook on your shelf and you can teach yourself to bake a cake. Put your trust in yourself.

icon_biggrin.gif

Just some thoughts for you.

Barb00 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 5:06pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks. Most of my cakes are hand-me-down recipes or box cakes. It just seems like the "cake bible" had some magic directions for yummy, out of the ordinary delights. Just thought there was one really good reference book. I find that instead of standard measurements if I use weights, my cakes are not always right. In fact, I just threw out a carrot cake a few weeks ago because it totally fell apart - crumbled, stuck in pan, did not raise. Went back to the old standard from the recipe box . . . and what do you know, was perfect! Guess a lot is trial and error, too. Appreciate the reply! icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 6:35pm
post #8 of 14

For sure and I mean there's always something good to learn from almost everything--sometimes how not to do it--but going with your gut is usually the best way to go huh.

Rose has worked hard and has some recipes and displays not only her way of doing things but also how she thinks, frankly not always reliable and not always pretty but...if you want to read a book that does give you the mindset on how to operate in a artful way I highly recommend

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1585421472/?tag=cakecentral-20

The Artist's Way by Julie Cameron--absolutely incredible no matter what your art form.

And for cakes in particular--I don't know a better than Margaret Braun's big red gold edged book Cakewalk

Barb00 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 7:48pm
post #9 of 14

Thanks. I will check those out. thumbs_up.gif

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 8:14pm
post #10 of 14

k8memphis -
when u recommend cakewalk,....do u mean u like the recipes?
i've been making 2-3 recipes per week in search of the elusive perfect yellow cake -moist & tasty. i've tried 2 from Rose's cake bible and both were dry. i've been watching the scratch forum but still awaiting final. sylvia w's shrinks too much for me. thanks

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 9:29pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettoothmom1

k8memphis -
when u recommend cakewalk,....do u mean u like the recipes?
i've been making 2-3 recipes per week in search of the elusive perfect yellow cake -moist & tasty. i've tried 2 from Rose's cake bible and both were dry. i've been watching the scratch forum but still awaiting final. sylvia w's shrinks too much for me. thanks

I was saying for artistic mindset--she really goes off in her nevernever land of how she creates the magic on the cake --the decor --how she gets her inspiration.

I use her vanilla buttercream recipe for my swiss meringue buttercream.
I've never made her cake recipes.

I tweak the original Sylvia and it works fine for moi for white cake.
But I use wasc for orders.

I add two whole eggs and two egg whites one by one to the already super fluffy creamed butter & extra fine sugar. I use 2.5 cups of cake flour. I make sure my butter is not very soft but cube it and let the mixer do it's thing then add the sugar and fluffy it up. Add a third the powder, half the sour cream next thrid, next half, last third. Beat at speed 5 or 6 for two minutes like a cake mix--viola.

I really like that cake a ton.

gatorcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcakes Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 9:37pm
post #12 of 14

Do you have a recommendation for a first book on decorating? I looked at a few authors, but they seem to have so many cakes. I'm looking for the very basics of the decorating part, not the baking part.

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 11:26pm
post #13 of 14

Brenna, I learned out of Wilton yearbooks from the 70's. the still have tons and tons of methods and great pictures and tell you what to buy and I mean those are great.

There's sucha great variety of things to choose from too.

But Colette I think has some great books--I think the one with the packages on the cover is especially good for inspiration and techniques.

But I mean all of 'em are great!

Toba has realy down to earth good stuff too. Now she's gotta big whonkin book out--I haven't seen it--it's pricey but I bet it's the bomb and worth every penny!!

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 2:24am
post #14 of 14

Toba Garrett's Professional Cake Decorating runs $75 even on amazon. but it has from A - Z. Lindy Smith is awesome for fondant and cake carving. Try the library. I found some there for evaluating, then bought the ones i loved.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%