Cake Refrigerating

Decorating By bmarlow001 Updated 27 Jun 2009 , 5:12am by bmarlow001

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 6:24am
post #1 of 6

I am currently making my cakes the day before I decorate them and then refrigerating them and just wanted to see what everyone here at CC thought about that, i'm sure i'm not the only one who does this but sometimes I wonder if it is drying them out or if they may be losing quality is some way.

Thanks for listening!

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 6:30am
post #2 of 6

I make mine the day before I decorate them, but I don't put them in the fridge. I just wrap them with plastic wrap while they're still a little bit warm and leave them on the counter.

I usually don't have room in the fridge or freezer which is probably why I've never thought of putting the cake in there icon_biggrin.gif

Do you use one of the mix extender recipes? I've noticed that WASC (in whatever flavor) is always really moist.

bmarlow001 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 6:41am
post #3 of 6

I'm really still working on finding a good recipe to use so I am kinda playing around still. I have heard a lot about the WASC but never tried it, I will have to look it up.
I have heard that you can leave them on the counter wrapped but I have kids and i'm afraid they will just help themselves in the morning not to mention ants, I rent right now and it seems if I leave anything on the counter for more than an hour there will be a heap of ants surrounding it. I cant wait to move into my new house soon!

MLand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MLand Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 6:42am
post #4 of 6

There was a post earlier that said freezing them makes them more moist for some reason. I don't like freezing mine, I have just been letting them cool and then crumb coating and placing in frig overnight. But I was wondering the same about drying it out.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 6:54am
post #5 of 6

I have ant issues too. I think some of it is our dry weather. It's not as bad for me as it was last summer...I had a kitchen wall that was literally covered in ants and they sent the exerminator every week but that didn't do any good. Now I'm living in the apartment next door to my old one but most of the ants have seemed to stay over there icon_biggrin.gif Just keeping my fingers crossed that they'll stay there.

The trick to keeping ants out of the cake is to put the cake on your turntable and set the turntable in a pan of water (assuming you've got a raised plastic turntable). It makes a moat that the ants drown in when they try to cross. I've noticed too that ziplock bags will keep ants out but plastic wrap doesn't.

I always use the WASC recipe. It's really yummy and it seems to fill up the cake pans a lot better than mixes alone.

bmarlow001 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 5:12am
post #6 of 6

OMG, Texas_rose, I live in Live Oak next to New Braunfels and I have never lived anywhere where the ants were so bad! It's been going on since I moved into this house and it drives me nuts!! I'm gunna have to try the mote idea though. I just cannot wait to move into my new house next month!
So, I refrigerated my cake over night and then leveled it and of course made myself a little sample out of the shaved off top layers and it was not dry at all.. I just hope it's the same for all cakes! Well I am TRYING to finish this cake (yes, at midnight) and I have to apply zebra stripes now so goodnight to all icon_eek.gif Thank you for all your responses!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%