Just Confirmed My First Paid Cake...what?!

Decorating By cupcakeco Updated 6 Jul 2009 , 8:34pm by cupcakeco

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:25am
post #1 of 27

Haha! Weird! I've only been making cakes either at cost/getting reimbursed or for nothing for my immediate family and very few close friends... well one of those friends' girlfriend (for whom one of my cakes was made) emailed me a few days ago requesting something for a baby shower for one of her colleagues. Right upfront she said "don't hesitate to charge a competitve market price..."

So I told her $100, thinking it would be too high, and it was like "no prob!"

Soooo.. any tips really? I'm going to include a cake cutting diagram and have already explained the difference between cutting a cake in 'wedges' aka the wrong way and the proper way to do it. I want to do a really nice job, and I want it to go smoothly-- I know the girl, so I have the luxury of not stressing too much. I feel like it's taking some of the pressure off, knowing her that is.

Anywho.. just a strange feeling, knowing that I'm going to actually be making MONEY off of this next one. It's something I'm definitely not used to!! thumbs_up.gif

26 replies
Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 7:14am
post #2 of 27

don't really have any tips cose i still on the 'free cakes' wagon lol But congrats on your first paid cake! And lucky you for getting such a pleasant person to work with straight off and no go all OMG on the price lol

Good Luck! icon_biggrin.gif

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 7:28am
post #3 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeco

Right upfront she said "don't hesitate to charge a competitve market price..."

Nice one icon_biggrin.gif

cherryz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherryz Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 8:35am
post #4 of 27

it's a comfort to know that this hobby starts with a friendly price - this is my step to try out new designs still being paid... smile

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 9:30am
post #5 of 27

Congratulations on your first order! Do you already know how you are going to decorate it? I'm looking forward to seeing a picture!

Good luck!

cupcakeco Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:22pm
post #6 of 27

Thanks so much everyone for your kind words.

It's going to be a 2D baby, 10" and 6", fondant covered wearing headphones and holding a microphone. She requested something along the lines of baby+sound engineer because the mom-to-be is a sound engineer at the performance center where she works.

I definitely can't wait to get started!

CookieO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieO Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 27

Congrats! thumbs_up.gif

cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:43pm
post #8 of 27

Don't have any tips, but wanted to say that I can't wait to see this cake, it sounds so different (with the headphones and microphone) than "normal" baby shower cakes! Good luck!

cupcakelady64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakelady64 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:54pm
post #9 of 27

Congrats on your first paid cake! It sounds like it will be adorable! icon_biggrin.gif

I seem to have had the problem of under charging. Even though theirs is free, family members that see "paying customer" projects tell me all the time, "that's not enough", but i can't seem to get that higher price out there. I guess i'm afraid someone is going to say "WHAT??" icon_eek.gif lol!!

But with all the time and effort put in, it's getting easier every day!!

Good Luck and before you know it, you will get slammed with "paying customers"!! thumbs_up.gif

cupcakeco Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 5:40pm
post #10 of 27

cupcakelady, you know what's funny? I was originally going to charge her $75.. then I bumped it up to $80, then back down to $75... but on a whim, I said, "WTH, $100's a nice round number, right?" To my astonishment, she came back with an A-OK and no qualms paying it!

I think we underprice ourselves. And then there's always the argument that some just feel downright funny taking money for something they enjoy doing so much!

cupcakelady64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakelady64 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 5:57pm
post #11 of 27

yep! you are soooo right! i love doing it, and even though i'm faaarrr from professional icon_redface.gif , it's the time and effort we put into each and every one that we should be compensated for! icon_smile.gif my girls are in their 20's and they always give me a "suggested but fair asking price"! i appreciate their help because they know what young women (or people in general) are willing to pay these days! And i've noticed that when it is a "shower" cake and more than one person will bear the price, they seem to be more generous! thumbs_up.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 7:19pm
post #12 of 27

Get payment in advance, ha ha!

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 7:26pm
post #13 of 27

Congrats!! icon_smile.gif Be sure to take lots of pics! Those custom cakes are what people can't get anywhere else, and then they taste it and they're HOOKED! icon_smile.gif

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 7:28pm
post #14 of 27

Congrats Cupcakeco!

I don't have any words-of-wisdom, I just wanted to give you kudos for selling your first cake and coming up with a figure that will not only cover your cost for ingredients like you've been doing, but that will cover some of your time. Don't get stressed out and I'm sure you will do a beautiful cake.

The baby with headphones sounds adorable!

May I suggest trying your hand at modeling the baby out of gumpaste? It might be a good experience for you. You could make the baby look like one of the Kewpie babies (Google it?). Very adorable, cartoony, etc...

I can sort of imagine it as I write here. icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 2:07pm
post #15 of 27

Yeah! I'm happy for you! Have fun with it! Don't forget to post a pic!

cupcakeco Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 1:17pm
post #16 of 27

Here he is: my cake baby! Finished at 2AM this morning.. tehehe.

All fondant, headphones and mic are RKT covered in fondant.

Thanks so much to everyone for your help! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif
LL

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 1:34pm
post #17 of 27

WOW!

First, off, that is JUST adorable!!

Second off, you are so talented! Love your technique and the clean-ness of the cake itself and the design!

Thirdly, love the execution of your idea. It's sort of retro, modern and whimsical at the same time. Well done!!

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 1:46pm
post #18 of 27

This is a gorgeaous cake. I love it. Very well done ....

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 1:48pm
post #19 of 27

This is a gorgeaous cake. I love it. Very well done ....

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 1:56pm
post #20 of 27

Oh, she is going to LOVE this cake. GREAT job!!!!!

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:18pm
post #21 of 27

He's is so freakin' cute!!! She's gonna love it! I can't stop laughing/smiling at him! Just made my day icon_smile.gif

You did an outstanding job!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:09pm
post #22 of 27

Super, super cute! You did a great job on the little guy!!

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:16pm
post #23 of 27

OMG - he is so stinkin' cute!! I love his facial expression! So well executed! You should be proud! Adorable!!!!

dhccster Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:25pm
post #24 of 27

Wow! you did an EXCELLENT job. That baby is soooooooooooo adorable.

dhccster Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:25pm
post #25 of 27

Wow! you did an EXCELLENT job. That baby is soooooooooooo adorable.

Amymnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amymnn Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:26pm
post #26 of 27

That cake is amazing! Wonderful job!

cupcakeco Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 8:34pm
post #27 of 27

Thank you thank you everyone for your kind words!

I was so excited and happy at the way that this cake came out. And I was especially happy with his facial expression, I wanted it to look like he was just bee-bopping all around town and I think I achieved that. I loved it so much..... I was kind of sad when I had to give him away LOL!

Thanks again!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%