Help With Rct Asap

Decorating By tattoodmommy1116 Updated 26 Jun 2009 , 6:05am by bakermommy4

tattoodmommy1116 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tattoodmommy1116 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:13am
post #1 of 3

I just stumbled across this site and haven't really looked through the forums yet, but I have been searching for a place like this! My name is Heather and I just started cake decorating. I'm having a lot of fun with it and if you'd like, you can view my cakes here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/heathers-cakes/

I am making a bottle cake for THIS Saturday...my first bottle cake....and I was going to make the cake with rct, so that the cake would be more 3d than flat....how do you attach the rct to the cake without ripping the cake up and also, so that it's up off of the board?.....would toothpicks work? I've seen a bunch of pictures all over the internet, but no one ever posts HOW they do it! I've never used fondant before either, so if it's just a matter of basically glueing it with the fondant or something, please offer alternate suggestions....this one is voluntary and I'm not getting paid and I don't have much more cash to put into it!

Thanks so much for any advice you can give on this....Im going to look and see if there's an intro section on the site nowicon_smile.gif I'm sure you'll see a lot more of me around! This forum will really come in handy!

2 replies
CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 5:44am
post #2 of 3

I'm trying to picute what you're describing but it's late and my brain has gone to bed icon_sad.gif
Do you have a pic or a sketch that you are going off of,if I could see what you're trying to do I might be able to help.
Oh and welcome to CC, you'll love it here!

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 6:05am
post #3 of 3

First...Hi, I'm Apryle (pronounced April like the month) and welcome to this lovely place.

Ok, now on to your dilemma. The bottle cakes I've seen here have mostly been done with sugar. I don't know if your comfortable with working with cooked sugar...but it is an option.

The rkt idea is a good idea and maybe you could use something to smooth over the rkt like ummm maybe royal icing or something cuz sometimes I see the rkt molds and they look bumpy. Then apply the fondant.

Hope that helps...and again welcome to CC and happy baking!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%