How Do I Do These Bows

Decorating By Normita Updated 26 Jun 2009 , 6:15pm by Normita

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:56am
post #1 of 8

So, its getting time to do this cake and I think I have everything down. But I was thinking...how do I do the little bows?? I have never done a bow like this...do I glue them together and then attach to the cake or do I assemble on the cake...and the number "1" do I simply make it ahead of time with fondant and tylose once dry glue a popsicle stick or coffee stir and insert in the cake?? Any ideas??

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3109/2639778486_0339054b5d.jpg

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:01am
post #2 of 8

I think it would be easier to assemble the bow on the cake because otherwise it would be difficult to match the curve of the cake. Some people make the bow loops on individual toothpicks and then poke the toothpicks into the cake.

Normita Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:07am
post #3 of 8

Oh...good idea!! I didnt think about inserting them with toothpicks. When I make the loops do I insert the toothpick in the middle where you glue them together....does this make sense?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:19am
post #4 of 8

Yes, that's how I've seen it done.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:46am
post #5 of 8

if those are fondant bows, it's easier to make the loops and lay them on their side, better to use 50/50 fondant gum paste, all fondant will take to to dry, and you would have to put paper or foam to keep the shape.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 8

I have made these several times. I used 50/50 fondant/gumpaste or all gumpaste. I glued the wire on the ends when I made them and laid them on their sides to dry, Then when dry you just stick them in the cake. I used the white cloth covered wire, it wasn't a very heavy guage, so I tried not to roll my fondant/gumpaste too thick so they wouldn't be too heavy. HTH!

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:39pm
post #7 of 8

I have made these several times. I used 50/50 fondant/gumpaste or all gumpaste. I glued the wire on the ends when I made them and laid them on their sides to dry, Then when dry you just stick them in the cake. I used the white cloth covered wire, it wasn't a very heavy guage, so I tried not to roll my fondant/gumpaste too thick so they wouldn't be too heavy. HTH!

Normita Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 6:15pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%