Yellow Cake Help

Baking By HollyPJ Updated 22 Aug 2005 , 12:18am by HollyPJ

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 21 Aug 2005 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 3

Hi!

I'm making my niece's wedding cake next week. I recently tried a Cake Mix Doctor yellow cake recipe that was delicious and I'd like to use it for the wedding, but when I baked it in 8-inch layers, it fell in the middle a little bit. I need to tweak the recipe, or choose a new one, because if it sinks in an 8-inch pan, there's no way it will work in a 14-inch!

Here's the recipe:

Basic Sour Cream Yellow Cake

1 plain yellow cake mix (I used Duncan Hines)
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
4 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla

I'm wondering if the fat or sugar content of this recipe is too high. Also, I live in a high-altitude area, so that could be a contributing factor. The texture of the cake was good and it rose just fine initially--it just fell a little bit in the center towards the end of baking.

Any ideas?

I'd be happy to take other cake-mix based recipe suggestions as well. I'm looking for a yellow cake that's moist, but has a fairly firm texture that will hold up well as a wedding cake.

Thank you!

2 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 12:01am
post #2 of 3

http://allrecipes.com/advice/coll/baking/articles/154P1.asp

http://www.uwyo.edu/CES/Centsible/AltitudeAdjusters.PDF#search='high%20altitude%20baking%20%20%20cake%20mixes'

here are a couple links that may help .. I live almost below sea level so I know basically nothing about high altitudes lol

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 22 Aug 2005 , 12:18am
post #3 of 3

Thanks, Cheryl!

I noticed in another forum that you recently made a wedding cake using the SuperEnhanced Cake formula recipe from this site. Maybe I should try that recipe? What do you think of the flavor? Texture?

Has anyone tried that recipe in a high altitude? Anyone? icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%