Big Cake For Home Baker

Decorating By Kookie Updated 27 Jun 2009 , 9:44pm by Kookie

Kookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kookie Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 12:20am
post #1 of 11

I might get a wedding cake order for 250 people.
I am a home baker and have a regular oven.
My biggest round cake I made was 12" round for a wedding.
I don't know if bigger pans fit in the oven or bake well.
I would like to hear from home baker who does wedding or big party.
How do you do if you get big cake order?
Thanks.

10 replies
bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 12:33am
post #2 of 11

I can fit a 16 in in my oven. I always bake at 325 and anything 12 in or over I use inverted flower nails as a heating core. I know some dont and dont have issues, but I have never had an issue using the flower nail vs not using and having to rebake. They bake up fine.

renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 12:33am
post #3 of 11

I made my friends wedding cake and the largest round was 14" and it fit fine in my oven. hth thumbs_up.gif

Kookie Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:13am
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakingatthebeach

I can fit a 16 in in my oven. I always bake at 325 and anything 12 in or over I use inverted flower nails as a heating core. I know some dont and dont have issues, but I have never had an issue using the flower nail vs not using and having to rebake. They bake up fine.

I saw your cake photos and what sizes of Lace wedding cake?
I love your light blue MMF laces. Very beautiful!!
Did you use regular buttercream frosting?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:21am
post #5 of 11

I'm a home baker and the large cakes are no problem...my biggest problem is that anything larger than about a 20" base doesn't fit well in my fridge and I don't like leaving it out where my kids can find it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:48am
post #6 of 11

YOu need to measure your oven so you know what you've got to work with. No such thing as a "regular" oven ... they come in all sizes.

Once you have that info, you know what you can and can't do.

HEre's a thread on large cakes that may give you some ideas with satellite cakes: http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=637600&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=15 See Jammjenks post with pic on page 2. A cascade of varying heights satellite cakes can be made with 6" thru 12" cakes.

Another thought is to have a large square base, which you can make with (for example) four 2-layer 8" cakes shoved together (to make a 16x16 base, which will serve 12icon_cool.gif. I think leahs suggested something like this in the above thread/link.

Kookie Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:50am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I'm a home baker and the large cakes are no problem...my biggest problem is that anything larger than about a 20" base doesn't fit well in my fridge and I don't like leaving it out where my kids can find it.

You are right. I have two fridges but probably fit 16" cake at the most.
Do you put the cake in the box then goes to fridge?
I can't believe you can bake 20" in the oven.
Do you use a flower nail too?
icon_surprised.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:04am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

You are right. I have two fridges but probably fit 16" cake at the most.
Do you put the cake in the box then goes to fridge?
I can't believe you can bake 20" in the oven.
Do you use a flower nail too?
icon_surprised.gif

I just meant a 20" base board. icon_smile.gif

My oven is extra large (still a regular home oven, but its Samsung so has large capacity and three racks) but still depth wise a 16" just fits. I use a heating core with the 16" and a flower nail with the smaller sizes or nothing with the 10" and down.

Kookie Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:32am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

YOu need to measure your oven so you know what you've got to work with. No such thing as a "regular" oven ... they come in all sizes.

Once you have that info, you know what you can and can't do.

HEre's a thread on large cakes that may give you some ideas with satellite cakes: http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=637600&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=15 See Jammjenks post with pic on page 2. A cascade of varying heights satellite cakes can be made with 6" thru 12" cakes.

Another thought is to have a large square base, which you can make with (for example) four 2-layer 8" cakes shoved together (to make a 16x16 base, which will serve 12icon_cool.gif. I think leahs suggested something like this in the above thread/link.

Hello indydebi,
I just finished reading the link you attached.
It has lots of good infos.
I am going to measure the oven now.
Thank you.
icon_wink.gif

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:51pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, those were 16, 14, 10 and 6 inch cake dummies. I had just gotten them and was playing around (thus the icing not so smooth, had covered them in plastic wrap, still need to practice that). The icing was buttercream
(minus the butter because it wasnt going to get eaten).

Kookie Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 9:44pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, those were 16, 14, 10 and 6 inch cake dummies. I had just gotten them and was playing around (thus the icing not so smooth, had covered them in plastic wrap, still need to practice that). The icing was buttercream
(minus the butter because it wasnt going to get eaten).

Thanks bakingatthebeach!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%