Australian Bakers - Can You Help Me?

Decorating By Larkin121 Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 11:26pm by jules06

Larkin121 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 4

My sister has been in Australia for almost 2 years with a short break in between and is returning home, finally, in July. I'd like to bake her a cake that is done the way she may have found them in Australia. She is incredibly sad to be leaving.

I think I've seen here that it is common to use a mud cake. First, does anyone want to share a really good recipe? I've heard of chocolate, white chocolate, and caramel but have trouble locating these recipes. (please feel free to use weight measurements, as I often use a scale for baking). Second, are mud cakes torted and filled? Or do they just stand alone? If you fill them, what do you use? Third, is the Planet Cake technique of ganache under fondant the main tradition there? If it's not fondant covered, what kind of buttercream do you use?

Thanks so much! I'm so excited to surprise her and let her know I did my research. icon_smile.gif

3 replies
JanH Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 4
Larkin121 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 4

Thank for the links! Most of the recipes there don't have high ratings, so I'm looking to hear straight from those who often use the mud cake recipes. And I definitely have saved a lot of those filling recipes before, but I don't what is often used inside the mud cakes.

jules06 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 4

Hi Larkin121,
Check out - it's a great Aussie blog with loads of recipes & useful information

, icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%