Need To Make Dogwoods.....but Can't Find A Cutter

Decorating By mrswendel Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 11:43pm by mrswendel

mrswendel Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all,

I have a cake to do next weekend that has a whole bunch of dogwoods on it. The problem is that I cannot find a dogwood cutter anywhere! I have checked with a couple of the places that I normally order supplies from, but they only carry the silicone mold. (I am in Ontario, Canada) and it would cost me a fortune to order one cutter from the US. Does anyone know of any other cutters that you can use and modify to create this flower?

5 replies
cakebaker1957 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswendel

Hi all,

I have a cake to do next weekend that has a whole bunch of dogwoods on it. The problem is that I cannot find a dogwood cutter anywhere! I have checked with a couple of the places that I normally order supplies from, but they only carry the silicone mold. (I am in Ontario, Canada) and it would cost me a fortune to order one cutter from the US. Does anyone know of any other cutters that you can use and modify to create this flower?

i hand cut mine, i think you could use a round cookie cutter and carve them out that way, i did it the hard way i dont have a pic but they turned out really great i used green fondant for the centers, and painted the ends with a little brown Thanks hope this helps

FromScratch Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 6

Hello Mrs Wendel...

I have a branch of dogwoods that I made in my photos... I used a rose petal cutter for those. I cut a notch out of the outer edge since dogwoods have that dimple on their bracts (the petal looking part). I wired them and made the centers by flattening out a small disk of gumpaste and adding some little balls of gumpaste (you could even use small white dragees to make it easier) which I colored with petal dust. Worked like a charm. I use my rose petal cuters for tons of things. icon_smile.gif

HTH's

tiggy2 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 6
mbt4955 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:15pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

Hello Mrs Wendel...

I have a branch of dogwoods that I made in my photos...

HTH's

Jeanne, your dogwood is beautiful - it looks real! thumbs_up.gif I remembered seeing someone who did great dogwood without a cutter and was trying to find it for the OP. Your picture was saved in my favorites, so I'm thinking it must have been you! icon_smile.gif

mrswendel Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for your suggestions! I have to go into the city on the weekend so I will check a couple of other places that sometimes have random supplies. Otherwise, I guess I will be handcutting! (Your dogwood is beautiful Jeanne!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%