Dense Butter Cake Recipe Question Please

Baking By charliecakes Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 10:18pm by charliecakes

charliecakes Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 5

Can someone please help me? Has anyone had any success with the Wilton Butter Cake Recipe. The recipe is as Follows:
3 cup Flour
2.5 cups sugar
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 cup
2 tsp vanilla
5 eggs
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups butter

I think if i make this recipe once more and it fails i'm going to have a fit. I'm embarrassed to say how many times i've tried. This is my problem. In the 6 and 8 inch pans they bake okay but sometimes a slight sunken center. However, in the 10, 12, 14 i feel like i've failed before i even begin. The first thing to happen is the cake in the heating core will deflate. I look through my oven window and every single time it flops like a wet balloon. Then as it bakes the rest of the cake will sink and deflate in the oven or on the counter. I have tried all the following to help this cake:

I changed baking powder to 1/4 tsp, then 1/2 tsp, and i tried 3 tsp
I've purchased 2 oven thermometers to check temp. One shows 350 and the other shows a little over.
I am baking with a heating core in the 10 & 12 inch pans.

4 replies
DeeDelightful Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 5

I'm sorry, wish i could help...unless you are determined to make this recipe work, check out the ones on the Scratch Yellow Cake thread...i have not found a scratch yellow cake i like as much as a doctored butter recipe cake mix. Anxious to try the ones on that Scratch Yellow cake thread.

suzie1962 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 5

I don't know the science behind it, and I don't understand it, but I was reading just last night in the Rose Levy Berenbaum (The Cake Bible) blog, that the bigger the cake, the LESS baking powder you need. I have that book and have never sat down to really figure it out, but there is a whole formula to increase or decrease cake recipes for the cake pan sizes and they say that the bigger the cake pan, the LESS baking powder you need. You might want to look into that.

suzie1962 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 5

I don't know the science behind it, and I don't understand it, but I was reading just last night in the Rose Levy Berenbaum (The Cake Bible) blog, that the bigger the cake, the LESS baking powder you need. I have that book and have never sat down to really figure it out, but there is a whole formula to increase or decrease cake recipes for the cake pan sizes and they say that the bigger the cake pan, the LESS baking powder you need. You might want to look into that.

charliecakes Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 5

suzie 1962 , i have this book and i have read this information also. I'm wondering if maybe this is my problem.. Sometimes cakes can b so frustrating

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%