Fondant/gumpaste Rolling Board ??

Decorating By CookieO Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 6:23am by Rylan

CookieO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieO Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 21

Hi, I'm new here (although been reading for a few weeks). I live in Texas near Kingwood/Humble. Not finding many local shops for baking etc supplies.

I'm new to fondant/gumpaste modeling and trying to find a good rolling board, not too big.

I've seen on you tube ppl using the non stick green boards but cant find them online in the US. I've looked online at the cellpad boards but have a question about those as well.

1.) Does anyone know where to find the non stick green boards? Or have one you would part with (I can paypal instant funds).

2.) Cellpad boards - How thick are these?

3.) What have any of you used as an alternative for a smooth surface rolling board?

Right now I'm using a very thin white flexiible item bought at Wal-Mart in the kitchen dept, with a foam sheet under it to keep it from slipping/moving. It's ok for a temp solution but I believe I need something thicker & harder surface. Any suggestions?

Naturally I dont want to waste money, so I thought I would ask here for input.

Any advise, knowledge, tips on fondant/gumpaste rolling boards welcomed. Thanks so much! icon_smile.gif

Kay

20 replies
CookieO Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 21

anyone? please?

I need input on a good board to roll out my gumpaste/fondant for modeling work.

I can order one (green board) from the UK, but hoping to save "some" on that over seas shipping though, if I can.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 21

I use a regular silicone mat, that I use for Fondant, it is blue it can be purchased at GlobalSugarArt. The brand is Ateco

CookieO Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 21

Thanks for the reply.

I have a large silicone mat that I use when rolling fondant on my kitchen counter top. My problem is when sitting at my dining table working on smaller items, modeling figures or making flowers.

My table is not smooth (it is tiled)...I have to have something firmer then a silicone mat for these sit down jobs.

Does that make sense?

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 21

It does make sense we will wait to see what others say

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 21

I like using the larger board (10"x7" approx) by Celcakes. They have another smaller one but it is just not big enough and for the price you might as well get one that will meet all future needs.

Global Sugar Art has it. Be prepared to spend $35+ for it. It will last forever.

Another board I really love is by Scott Clark Wolley. It's around the same price I think. You have to buy it from him directly. I also love his clear roller. His web is cakesbydesign.com. I like his the best. His gumpaste tools are top of the line quality. His videos are phenominal! He is one of the best teachers around! I have all of them. His cutters and veiners/molds are excellent and competitively priced. It is easy to invest a small fortune in gumpaste flowers.

kentuckyjode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kentuckyjode Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 11:18pm
post #7 of 21

Jennifer Dontz sells a nice cell board that I like a lot! She is great to order from and very helpful if you have any questions.

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 11:25pm
post #8 of 21

Just a head's up.....the Scott Clark Wolley website is www.cakesbydesign.CC (not .COM)

Bakingangel Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 11:29pm
post #9 of 21

Correction..Scott's website is www.cakesbydesign.cc If you put .com it pulls up someelse. The one Jennifer sells is by Celcakes. Its called a celboard.

CookieO Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 12:17am
post #10 of 21

thanks every one for the replies.

how thick is the cellcakes one? I've looked online at these and they never state that info that I have seen.

I like the idea of the green one, easier on the old eyes imo, but shipping is up there to get them from overseas.

I have only managed to find two shops to go get supplies from (in Houston & Sugarland) and both are a good clip from me. Which in all honesty, probably is a blessing. I am sufficing quite well at going broke as it is on this new found hobbyist obsession. icon_surprised.gif

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 12:24am
post #11 of 21

I bought one of Scott's boards. It was $35 and I love it! It's great for rolling and cutting.

Bakingangel Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 12:55am
post #12 of 21

Scott's boards come in different colors too. It has a backing on the back so that it doesn't slide around while your rolling. The Celpad needs a gripper to hold it steady. Are talking about the green board used in the Patchwork video? If so, I think it is made by Celcakes too but I've never seen that color available here in the States. Maybe someone else has.

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:05am
post #13 of 21

I just use a vinyl placemat that I bought at the grocery store for .50. It is thicker and more sturdy than my larger mats that I roll out fondant on.

CookieO Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:13am
post #14 of 21

I believe the green board I am talking about is an Orchard product. Global Sugar carries some items from Orchard, but not this green board.

I believe A&H has them listed on their online store, but says they are not in stock.

Lorraine uses the green one I am talking about in her tutorial videos. They come in diff sizes.

curiegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curiegas Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:10am
post #15 of 21

Kay,

Lorraine is coming to Houston for their day of sharing. Try contacting her and see if she is going to bring any supplies to sell in Houston.

Oh and by the way I was also searching for that board when I saw her video using Tappits. Thanks for posting the question.

HTH,
Cecilia

Edited to add:

I THINK I FOUND IT....sorry for shouting I am excited.

They are the green celboards and the company is in Florida so no international shipping, WOOHOO.

http://www.ahcakedesign.com/nonstickboards.html

CookieO Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 4:28am
post #16 of 21

I contacted A&H today, they said they have had them ordered & waiting on them for 4 months but do not have them in stock yet. Hopefully soon.

CookieO Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 4:31am
post #17 of 21

good idea about asking her what supplies she could bring. thanks.

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 4:51am
post #18 of 21

I have been wanting the large celboard. Someone mentioned on here that you can get them from the celcake website, and they have used or slightly damaged stuff too. I have been struggling for months with wires in my leaves or petals and just a few moments ago had one of those DUH moments. I have a marble cheese slicer that my MIL gave me that's about the same size as the small celboard. It has a nice little grooved slot and I am going to try it. If it works, I'll be so mad at myself, having this thing right under my nose all this time!!

warmshade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warmshade Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 5:09am
post #19 of 21

I use the flexible cutting boards that you can buy at walmart it's something like $2.50 for three of them. Its good for molding and forming. One side is slick and the other side has the slightest texture. Good luck I hope you find something that works for you. thumbs_up.gif

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 5:30am
post #20 of 21

I found and love a non-stick cutting board at Target for about $8. It's approximately 9"x12" and I can roll and cut gumpaste on either side. It's also dishwasher safe.

At the craft store there are packages of fun foam door hangers. These have very small pores, are not very thick, and are very cheap. I also put these through the dishwasher too. Sometimes the pads can get damaged, including the expensive ones, but the door hangers can be tossed without much concern over the cost. They can be cut into smaller pieces which work great for working with figurines. It's like a tiny turntable that can also be used to move the finished piece with less chance of damage while it dries.

HTH

Michele

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 6:23am
post #21 of 21

I use a marble pastry board. It is cheap and awesome.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%