So What Color Would A Dragons Egg Be?

Decorating By Reimagining_Confections Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 1:17am by gatorcakes

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 29

Hi everyone,

I am making a baby shower cake for my husbands co-worker(male) and thought i'd do a 14"round chocolate chip cookie, with a 14" brownie like cake on top(buttercream between the layers), coated in ganache with those perillion hazelnut wafer sticks nicely layered(vertically) along the side of the cake. Then I thought I would make a nest out of the chinese noodles and white choc.

Inside the nest I plan to make a Dragon's egg( I have a great textured mold) out of gumpaste. I thought the dragon would be red (fondant steamed to look shiney), bright yellow tummy. The dragon is child like, think dragon tales. Thought he would be hatching out of the egg(egg shell on head, feet popping out, tale sticking out and wings sticking out.

I am going to try to make wings out of gelatin(wired). Sooooo with this design in mind, what color for the egg?

Bold and bright an d yellow like the tummy? Then a bit of luster dust(blue pearl for depth)?

Or white, blue, brownish? Ideas?

28 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 29

My first thought was gold with red flecks like a robin's egg, or red with gold flecks. Your yellow idea goes along with that. I would do it some kind of fiery color, as opposed to something more cool.

I asked my son and he said red immediately. My daughter said white because dragons are reptiles and reptile eggs are white, but she's very literal! icon_lol.gif

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 29

Well
dragon egg colors depend on the color of the dragon.
With a red dragon I think a gold egg would be best. You could also do a red egg with gold flakes.

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 29

I agree with Auryn. In the dragon book "Eragon" the dragon eggs are the color of the dragons. I like the idea of gold flecks too.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 29

In my mind, they're marbled, not solid.
Love the idea of the gold flecks, too!
Post a pic!!!!

cakeaddiction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddiction Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 29

They could also be and orangey yellow marbled with red. Kind of make them looking like they are hot (like charcoal is when it burning red if that makes sense.) Like the little dragon is inside heating things up to get out.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 7:08pm
post #7 of 29

You guys are cracking me up! A dragon is a fictitious character ... it doesn't matter what color it is! Make it crazy looking! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 7:46pm
post #8 of 29

If you're a Harry Potter fan....they're gold.

costumeczar Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:08pm
post #9 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

You guys are cracking me up! A dragon is a fictitious character ... it doesn't matter what color it is! Make it crazy looking! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

What do you mean dragons aren't real??? icon_surprised.gif The next thing I know you'll be telling me that there's no Santa Claus!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:13pm
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

What do you mean dragons aren't real??? icon_surprised.gif The next thing I know you'll be telling me that there's no Santa Claus!

Then we probably shouldn't bring up Tooth Fairies or Easter Bunnies, huh? icon_rolleyes.gif

soobsessedwithcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soobsessedwithcake Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:16pm
post #11 of 29

I like the gold flakes idea, maybe with a yellow shell?

Reimagining_Confections Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:27pm
post #12 of 29

See this is why I love you guys. I was sooo close with yellow, but duh- gold is perfect. I don't have anything that gold leafs? I am also in a time crunch to order or go purchase something. I do have luster dusts, gold airbrush paint, etc. Suggestions for flecking (just faux paint?).

I will definitely post pics(even if it's a flop). Thanks for the help!

Uhhhhh- yeah dragons ARE TOO real!!!! They live in the volcanoes in Hawaii, my mom told me so. Just like she told me Santa Claus loves me and only gives me one small (under $20) gift a year because so many kids need gifts too. What are you talkin' bout Indy? icon_lol.gif

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:30pm
post #13 of 29

indydebi is right--dragons aren't real creatures, so there's no "right" or "wrong" answer to this one. Do whatever colors you think will look best. Heck, the color of the egg in real life doesn't even predict the color of the animal within--otherwise, robins would be blue, not red and brown! icon_biggrin.gif

I think that whatever color you think brings out the best in your cake is the right color for the egg.

costumeczar Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:30pm
post #14 of 29
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

Then we probably shouldn't bring up Tooth Fairies or Easter Bunnies, huh? icon_rolleyes.gif

WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?? I'm going to go crawl back into my corner of denial now... icon_razz.gif

PennieK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennieK Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:16am
post #15 of 29

I'm going to sound like a huge nerd here but..... in Harry Potter the gold eggs were just for show for the task. Real dragon eggs varied between species. For example: Norbert's egg was black and the Hungarian Horntail's eggs were granite.

Yah July 15th can't come fast enough for me. icon_lol.gif

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:26pm
post #16 of 29

thank you PennieK,
you beat me to it.
Dragon lore is too real so there icon_smile.gif

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:04pm
post #17 of 29

Huh. I don't remember them being granite. Like actual granite? How would they be able to crack out of the egg?

July 15th is my little guy's first birthday. I need to start remembering that and stop saying it's the HP premiere. LOL!

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 6:13pm
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellatheball

Huh. I don't remember them being granite. Like actual granite? How would they be able to crack out of the egg?

Mere chemistry and physics are no match for magical creatures!

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 8:03pm
post #19 of 29

Oh, my first thought was swirls of color and speckles of gold or silver on top of that.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 8:06pm
post #20 of 29

Im thinking purple and yellow

Reimagining_Confections Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 12:15am
post #21 of 29

My New Little Hatchling is done!!!! It's almost a shame to give him away, I've grown kinda attachedicon_smile.gif He is the little red baby dragon under my pics.

Thanks for the help on egg color. I went with a yellow with gold flecks, dusted with red glitter! The effect tied in the dragon wonderfully!!!! Let me know what you think!!!

Trish icon_biggrin.gif

Reimagining_Confections Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 12:15am
post #22 of 29

My New Little Hatchling is done!!!! It's almost a shame to give him away, I've grown kinda attachedicon_smile.gif He is the little red baby dragon under my pics.

Thanks for the help on egg color. I went with a yellow with gold flecks, dusted with red glitter! The effect tied in the dragon wonderfully!!!! Let me know what you think!!!

Trish icon_biggrin.gif

Reimagining_Confections Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 12:18am
post #23 of 29

Hi Guys!!!

Well the little guy is done. He is the New Little Hatchling under my pics. Thanks so much for your help with the egg color. I went with the yellow gold with red flecks!!!!! So much fun and I still am in love with this gelatin technique. My mind is whirling from all the possibilities!!!

Thanks for looking!

Trish

Reimagining_Confections Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 12:18am
post #24 of 29

Hi Guys!!!

Well the little guy is done. He is the New Little Hatchling under my pics. Thanks so much for your help with the egg color. I went with the yellow gold with red flecks!!!!! So much fun and I still am in love with this gelatin technique. My mind is whirling from all the possibilities!!!

Thanks for looking!

Trish

Reimagining_Confections Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 12:19am
post #25 of 29

Hi Guys!!!

Thanks for looking!

Trish

Reimagining_Confections Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 12:20am
post #26 of 29

Hi Guys!!!

Thanks for looking!

Trish

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 12:23am
post #27 of 29

He's fabulous!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Reimagining_Confections Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 12:50am
post #28 of 29

Sorry about the multiple posts, didn't mean to. The website went a little wonky doodles on meicon_smile.gif

gatorcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcakes Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 1:17am
post #29 of 29

The dragon is amazing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%