Now I'm Too Scared....

Decorating By IDoCakesinTX Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 8:41pm by Larkin121

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 10:37pm
post #31 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mombabytiger

Personally, I would not buy a cake from someone who is changing a diaper in between icing my cake. I don't care how clean you say you are.

And I have also heard this argument before as well and to that I say would you buy a cake from someone that chooses to use to restroom in between icing your cake?

Not trying to be gross. I'm just saying, it's the same thing. We all know how to wash our hands.

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 10:42pm
post #32 of 71

As I said previously, I looked at a licensed catering business that offered me free use of their building and it was nasty. I got an estimate for cleaning of $4000.00 for the kitchen area only. I agree that the laws should be consistant across the board.

IDoCakesinTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IDoCakesinTX Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 10:51pm
post #33 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by gourmetsharon

It's a shame when making cakes is just as illegal as selling drugs.

Tsk. Tsk.

What's even more sad is that you can kill your kid in utero in this country, but I can't sell a cake for a birthday!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 11:16pm
post #34 of 71

We are all free to move to one of those 12 states y'know. I am all for state's rights. In fact TN allows baking for Farmer's Market type retail sales but not in my county. So go figure.

But to me the cool thing is that we can still do this for ourselves and our kids and stuff. We can still work on and perfect our skills and stay creative and improve.

There's a ton of things we can do to increase our income--but having a bunch of babies kind of interferes with that a lot.

However they do eventually grow up...more or less icon_lol.gif

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 11:22pm
post #35 of 71

What about us "oldies" with no kids but no money either. I'm doing everything I know how to do to get the law changed in Oklahoma but it is a slow process and no guarantees. I know I could move but all my kids and grandkids are here and it just wouldn't be worth it. I would just like to be able to suppliment my income with something I love to do and am told "You should do this for a living".

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 11:25pm
post #36 of 71

I agree about the inconsistency. I used to homeschool my kids - same thing. In my state there are very few restrictions, but other states have ridiculous requirements to be able to educate YOUR OWN children.

I also agree about the laws. I don't think I should have to wear a seat belt if I don't want to. But I should be strung up if I don't belt the kids. There's no law against me drinking whiskey til I pass out in my own living room but the minute I endanger the public by driving, I'm breaking the law.

Anyone even considering baking out of their home should at least take a ServSafe course. Bacteria, vermin, e-coli, improper temperatures, etc. can make people very, very sick and can even spell death to the most vulnerable in the population. As bakers, we all think that the oven temperature is the most important one we deal with. It isn't. It's the refrigeration temp.

Mabma80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mabma80 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 11:29pm
post #37 of 71

I'm totally there with ya! I'm a SAHM with a 3yr old and a 1yr old. I totally understand. you gotta do what you gotta do.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 11:54pm
post #38 of 71
Quote:

Is it your dream to make cakes or to make kids?

--CakesinTX as far as I know there's no "law" that tells you how many dreams you can have, so if you have a million, good for you! Try to make them true and don't let anyone tells you different, I can't believe how sad your life will be if you have no dreams or one dream only, what happens if you make it true? You can't have any more?--

Personally, I would not buy a cake from someone who is changing a diaper in between icing my cake. I don't care how clean you say you are.

We can't judge if we don't know the person, good thing you make your own cakes being so clean and all, but really, do you ever eat out or buy premade food items? The fact that there are sanitary laws won't assure you EVERY SINGLE FOOD ITEM you eat is 100% clean it's scary but true, we've seen it over and over again in tv.

IDoCakesinTX Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 12:07am
post #39 of 71

mombabytiger: I have LOTS of dreams....if you only knew me. However, this is a cake website, therefore I'm addressing my cake dreams.

Mabma80 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:44am
post #40 of 71

"Personally, I would not buy a cake from someone who is changing a diaper in between icing my cake. I don't care how clean you say you are."

Whomever wrote that, must not eat at all. Cause everybody that works in any food business, eventually has to take a sh!t, has to pee, has to pick their nose, has to shake hands with other people......you get my point.

I change diapers/pullups all day long. But company comes over, and they still eat my food knowing I have children.

Mabma80 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:47am
post #41 of 71

"What's even more sad is that you can kill your kid in utero in this country, but I can't sell a cake for a birthday!"

AMEN IDCakesInTx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:52pm
post #42 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoCakesinTX

I'm a good Christian girl who likes to play by the rules.......

Yeah, 'cause us wicked ole atheists just LOVE to break every rule going!!! icon_evil.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

IDoCakesinTX Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:05pm
post #43 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbsCookies

Quote:

Yeah, 'cause us wicked ole atheists just LOVE to break every rule going!!! icon_evil.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I'm sorry I offended you.

CookieMakinMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMakinMomma Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 6:01pm
post #44 of 71
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbsCookies

Quote:

I'm sorry I offended you.

icon_confused.gif Oh honestly.... let's return context to where it belongs, shall we? IDoCakesinTX please don't apologize, you did nothing wrong.

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 6:34pm
post #45 of 71

[quote=]

Personally, I would not buy a cake from someone who is changing a diaper in between icing my cake. I don't care how clean you say you are.[/quote]

You are taking a risk no matter WHERE you eat. The ONLY way you know exactly what your ingesting is if it comes from your own kitchen and made with your hands. Any time you get one of your local Big Macs or any other food made outside of your home you are taking a risk.

I do agree that the law should be the same across the board...but I also feel like you have to...as a sahm...find other options. You have a Masters degree...make it work for you is some fashion. Another post I read spoke of their sister doing tutoring...try something like that until your dream of baking and decorating can become a reality.

I have 4 kids all under 10 and I love being able to stay home with them...I also know that I'm getting a business off of the ground and wouldn't dare have another one until I KNEW I could balance my biz AND the kids. I have all girls and want a boy but not until my biz is a storefront with booming clientele. One dream at a time ya know! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 7:00pm
post #46 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelykaye

Quote:

And I have also heard this argument before as well and to that I say would you buy a cake from someone that chooses to use to restroom in between icing your cake?

Not trying to be gross. I'm just saying, it's the same thing. We all know how to wash our hands.

So you will also never eat at a potluck, family reunion, friends house...come on...

IDoCakesinTX Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 3:14am
post #47 of 71

Thank you all so much for your replies! I have really been praying for God to lead me in the right direction....especially b/c of the laws.

My friends and family are so encouraging....and it's really difficult when EVERYONE rolls their eyes when I tell them it's illegal! They're like....."Oh, please!!!! Don't worry about it..."

To which I reply...."Are you gonna help me pay that fine?" icon_lol.gif

The good thing is that I know my friends and family will still ask me to do their cakes, and pay me for supplies only so I can continue practicing.

I feel really blessed to have such great friends and family and you GALS! Thanks so much!!!!!!

As for 'choosing' b/t being a mom and being a caker...I say this....

Isn't that the definition of the American Dream? I mean....I CAN have my cake and eat it too! I'll be darned if I put my children by the wayside or vice versa......What an awesome thing for a child to see?....A mother who is successful at home and in business! I am going to work my tail off in 2 years to get this law passed....and do ALOT of praying too!

On more thing....I will leave it up to my customers to determine whether my home is a clean facility or not.....

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 3:16am
post #48 of 71

Oh boy....

Mabma80 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 3:17am
post #49 of 71

You go on girl! Tell it!

Hallelujah and pass the ammunition! WOO HOO!

__Jamie__ Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 3:20am
post #50 of 71

More like "pass the popcorn". It's about to get blazing hot in here. (pulling up chair for the fireworks.) icon_biggrin.gif

IDoCakesinTX Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 3:22am
post #51 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

More like "pass the popcorn". It's about to get blazing hot in here. (pulling up chair for the fireworks.) icon_biggrin.gif

Really? I didn't mean to sound 'bad'..... icon_redface.gif

I'm just trying to gain confidence and be optimistic about my situation.

__Jamie__ Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 3:26am
post #52 of 71

Well, unless I am completely off base, your closing statement on your last post basically can be interpreted as "screw the law, I'm gonna do it anyways". I couldn't care less. I thought it was hilarious!

IDoCakesinTX Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 3:33am
post #53 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Well, unless I am completely off base, your closing statement on your last post basically can be interpreted as "screw the law, I'm gonna do it anyways". I couldn't care less. I thought it was hilarious!

OOOHHHHHH!!!!!!!

No, I was referring to the whole, "I wouldn't buy a cake from someone who changes diapers" issue......

I'd rather buy something from a friend and I *know* the poop....then to buy from someone w/ *stanger* poop.....kwim? icon_lol.gif

Actually the law is really serious to me....especially when it comes down to people getting sick and what not.....I wish I had the balls to say 'screw it'....but....I don't....I mean....the title of this thread was "I'm too scared..." icon_rolleyes.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 3:36am
post #54 of 71

That's why I found it so funny! icon_biggrin.gif

katherinem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katherinem Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 3:45am
post #55 of 71

It's really surprising to me when I read through a post like this and see several off base & to me and i can tell from others peoples responses negative comments. This is a cake website - why in the world would you type in something that is mean toward the person who posted this thread. There should be positive and constructive comments.

__Jamie__ Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 3:54am
post #56 of 71

Yeah, my interpretation of what she wrote was funny to me. I wasn't harping on her. To go from "I'm scared, to screw it!" made me laugh out loud. But the popcorn comment was to cover my bases in case she did mean it. Which would have been even funnier. I'm not in Texas, so this, like this entire site in general, would have been another little slice of entertainment for me tonight. She cleared up my misinterpretation. I guess I can put the popcorn back.

katherinem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katherinem Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 4:34am
post #57 of 71

Jamie i wasn't talking about you at all... i was talking about the couple of obvious posters on here that made me cringe as i was reading.

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 4:47am
post #58 of 71

I've been watching this post for a while and I'm just glad to know that IdoCakesInTx IS aware that the legalities ARE an issue and that she's not just blatantly saying "screw getting legal...I'm gonna make cakes and sell em if I wanna"...

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 7:48am
post #59 of 71
Quote:

I guess, I'm just mad.....why isn't it up to my potential customers as to whether I'm 'safe'.

I know -- why isn't there just a rule that says label it as coming from a NON INSPECTED, NON LICENSED facility. Then caveat emptor. Maybe put a maximum limit on revenue before being required to be inspected.

I got $20 for a cake, which I had said I couldn't take but she gave it to my son on his way out the door to put in the wii jar (where the kids save money for their wii), and I also won $5 at the fair for entering a cake (minus my $2 entry fee).

I have the same dilemma -- should I just go ahead and do some under the table selling? I've decided no. It's not the specific legality that has me scared, it's the potential thousands in fines for doing it that has me thinking twice. I have also thought that I might not enjoy it as much if I had to do cakes EVERY weekend. Also, I know that if I DID start selling cakes, there would be a huge headache over getting paid what I think my time and effort are worth, so either I would be getting the gears over charging too much or else resenting making cakes for too little.

Your supplies are not wasted -- your kids are going to get awesome cakes. Maybe you will end up the go to person for cakes in your family, which can be annoying, but on the other hand, at least you don't have to get any other gifts, which helps offset the cake cost. I kind of think of making free cakes as the tuition to my own private school.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 8:31am
post #60 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretb

I kind of think of making free cakes as the tuition to my own private school.

I LOVE THAT!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%