Now I'm Too Scared....

Decorating By IDoCakesinTX Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 8:41pm by Larkin121

IDoCakesinTX Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 71

I've been studying, practicing, researching supplies, saving $$$$, etc.

I'll be doing it from home....here and there....for a little bit of spending $$$...maybe $100/month profit. Told friends and family...set my prices...

BUT...after reading all the illegally baking from home stuff, I'm too darn scared. I'm a good Christian girl who likes to play by the rules.......I hate that I *know* it's illegal icon_sad.gif

The thing is...I don't want to rent a kitchen space or have a storefront....I'm a SAHM w/ 2 young kids and at least 2-3 more in the future......I WANT to be at home....and if I'm working on a cake at 2am , I don't want to have to get in my car to drive home....or if I need to nurse the baby, I can take a break, nurse, and back to caking (after much hand washing of courseicon_wink.gif

Now what? I can't afford to do it 'b/c I love it'....and to be honest....I don't want to just charge cost and 'practice'.....DH and I could use a little bit of extra income....

O.K....that was my sob story. Anyone else in the same boat?

70 replies
pattigunter Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 71

I feel your pain. Right now I'll bake a wedding cake and give it away because I cant sell it. Its the only way I get any practice! I dont do that often, maybe once a year but still.... I retire from LSU in three years and then I'll have to make the decision of whether or not I want to go thru the hassle of starting a business - or just continue to bake for my kids and grandkids and their friends. Its a tough decision because now I can do what I want and pick my cakes. If I go into business and have to buy insurance and pay taxes, etc. on the income I'm going to have to work a lot harder to make it pay. Not sure if I want to commit to that or not.

Right now I take every class I run across thats even remotely close to me and bake extreme cakes for the grandkids birthdays. Its an expensive hobby!

Motta Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 71

Yup. Right there with you. I don't want to schelp equipment to and from a rented kitchen. I want to be home and work. I have a 3 year old and a 10 month old. We won't have any more kids but I won't be able to devote much time to this hobby/business until they are both in school. I can't find any time to do the cakes until they are both asleep around 8pm most days.

I'm Christian too and want to be legal. A person I know just does it for family and friends and if they often pay more than she asks. No real answer for you here.....just totally understand your dilemma.

CookieMakinMomma Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 71

I'm not in exactly the same boat but I'm in a similar one. I want to bake for all the same reasons as you, I have a little boy that I desperately want to spend every minute with and baking from home is my only option. (good for you for wanting a big family, btw! we want the same!) I live in Ohio where you can legally sell from out of your home but you have to be licensed to sell out of state. My husband works in PA and there is a lot more people over there willing to spend on luxuries than there are around our home. I probably could sell to them without being licensed and get away with it, but that's a pretty lousy way to run a business. I too hate just knowing that I would be doing it illegally. I'd love to do well enough that it at least pull in as much as a part time job so I definitely view it as a business and not a hobby. Unfortunately I can't get licensed in our current apartment but to move we need to increase our income... which means me getting a job... but I can't get the job I want/need until we move... It's all rather depressing.

I wish I could offer help but all I can offer is the sympathy of a fellow SAHM who is trying to reconcile being a mommy and helping the family. Good luck to you and I hope you are able to figure something out!

Mike1394 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 71

Sorry but this might be construed as harsh, certainly not meant to be. Why do you think you should be able to open a business because you want to? I never understood the reasoning of "well I want to, so why can't I"

Mike

summernoelle Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:49pm
post #6 of 71

Well, I hate to say this, but you should be scared to do this from home. I certainly would not advertise it here, because there are a lot of people who read CC who will turn you in in a second. Also, the bigger, well known bakeries are coming after people like you and will turn you in as well.

You need to be very, very careful right now, especially with the failurer of HB3282.

cakeinthebox4U Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 71

I'm with you all - I too am a SAHM of a 1 & 2 1/2 year olds who right now does this as a hobby but my intention is to get all my practice in now and go legal when they are both in school - a ways down the road yet! Unfortunately where I am I can't get licensed at home so I'll have to look into commercial space to rent - not my ideal situation. However that being said I will also be honest and throw it out there that - yes I have taken money for a few cakes now, more then cost to make them but it was for friends who came to me asking for it (not through advertising) and although I know I shouldn't my time is money and they wouldn't take no for an answer. Please don't turn this thread into a finger wagging about how bad that is - I really just want wanted to say I understand the frustration and hopefully we will all find ways to pursue our passion for caking!

jimandmollie Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:59pm
post #8 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Sorry but this might be construed as harsh, certainly not meant to be. Why do you think you should be able to open a business because you want to? I never understood the reasoning of "well I want to, so why can't I"

Mike




I don't think it's a "well I want to , so why can't I" situation. I think it's a "this is my dream but my kids are in the way and I feel horrible for even thinking that I might put myself first" kind of thing. It is a parent thing. We give up everything for our kids and sometimes it is very painful to think about your own dreams because it makes you feel selfish deep down inside. At least it does me. My kids always come first and I do everything for them but sometimes you can't help but think about dreams that you have given up for them and be sad. I totally understand. It is impossible to conform to the laws and do this legally without something giving, and we don't want it to be the time with our kids.

I understand that the laws are there for a reason and I am sure the OP does too. I don't believe this was a post about the laws but a post about how nice it would be if in dreamland we could do what we love in our own kitchen with our kids in the background. It's like wishing to have your cake and eat it too! icon_lol.gif

Stephi1 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:59pm
post #9 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Sorry but this might be construed as harsh, certainly not meant to be. Why do you think you should be able to open a business because you want to? I never understood the reasoning of "well I want to, so why can't I"

Mike





Mike - I think she is just venting her frustration. What is your point with this? Didn't every business get opened because someone "wanted to?"

IDoCakesinTX Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 6:08pm
post #10 of 71

Well, first let me say, I'm not ignorant. I certainly don't feel like I 'can' b/c I 'want'.

I made DOZENS of calls about HB3282. I rallied my ass off. I did not go to Austin b/c literally....I had a 2 week old. Not happening.

I was airing my frustration. I have a master's degree and taught school for 5 years b/f staying at home. I want to 'have my cake and eat it too' if you will. I hate that I can't contribute to my family's income while doing something I love, legally.

This is a vent. It is very frustrating, especially when I see other state's legalizing home bakers.

I guess my biggest dilemma is....do I give up the dream? I won't have the opportunity to add onto my home or open up a store front anytime soon...maybe 10 years down the road....

Do I sell my SugarShack DVDs and my claygun and all the awesome tools I've collected?

Would you 'give up', Michael? If you were in my boat?

cakeinthebox4U Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 6:10pm
post #11 of 71

I don't think it's a "well I want to , so why can't I" situation. I think it's a "this is my dream but my kids are in the way and I feel horrible for even thinking that I might put myself first" kind of thing. It is a parent thing. We give up everything for our kids and sometimes it is very painful to think about your own dreams because it makes you feel selfish deep down inside. At least it does me. My kids always come first and I do everything for them but sometimes you can't help but think about dreams that you have given up for them and be sad. I totally understand. It is impossible to conform to the laws and do this legally without something giving, and we don't want it to be the time with our kids.

I understand that the laws are there for a reason and I am sure the OP does too. I don't believe this was a post about the laws but a post about how nice it would be if in dreamland we could do what we love in our own kitchen with our kids in the background. It's like wishing to have your cake and eat it too! icon_lol.gif[/quote]

Amen to this jimandmollie!! You hit the nail on the head EXACTLY icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

brookerene Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 6:23pm
post #12 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Sorry but this might be construed as harsh, certainly not meant to be. Why do you think you should be able to open a business because you want to? I never understood the reasoning of "well I want to, so why can't I"

Mike



Do you bake cakes because you want to? What is wrong with that. I hope that you want to bake because you like it. What is great about this country is the opportunity to make something of yourself, if it includes baking and decorating cakes so be it. If a person starts a business but doesn't enjoy doing it, it doesn't matter how much money you do or don't make. Is there an elite group out there, who are the only ones who can start a business? I enjoy baking cakes as a hobby, but I do photography as a home business. (I photograph all those wonderful yummy cakes that you all bake for weddings). Am I less legitimate of a business? No. I do it because I enjoy it and I can do it from home and be with my children. I think that others should be able to do the same with things they love.
I respect your view, but I don't agree. I think people should be able to do this business at home with reasonable requirements for health and safety.

summernoelle Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 6:28pm
post #13 of 71

I wasn't trying to insult you, but to warn you to be very careful with sharing information on the internet that could get you into legal trouble. icon_smile.gif There have been threads on here about jealous women turning in home bakers, over and over again. I know it's just a vent, but you need to keep some info close to your chest, especially right now.

Neelas_wife Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 6:34pm
post #14 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Sorry but this might be construed as harsh, certainly not meant to be. Why do you think you should be able to open a business because you want to? I never understood the reasoning of "well I want to, so why can't I"

Mike




Mike, Sorry to say but I dont agree with your comments. She's just venting to us given the situation.....I dont see anything wrong here and feel for her as there are many of us here who have a passion and cannot pursue for very many reasons.

TC

jewelykaye Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 6:38pm
post #15 of 71

I am also a SAHM. I currently have a 16 month old daughter and we also plan on having more kids. I am a creative person and enjoy doing all kinds of crafts. One of them happens to be cake decorating. My daughter comes first and always will but I would LOVE to be able to help and contribute to our household finances using the talents that I have. I think it is absolutely ridiculous that if 12 states have it legalized that not all the states have it legalized. It just doesn't make sense. So unfortunately for now I am not able to use my cakes as a means to help support my family and my husband will have to continue working overtime every week until the laws change or we are able to move to a state that allows home bakeries.

Basically, I feel your pain.

Texas_Rose Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 6:41pm
post #16 of 71

It is really a shame that HB3282 didn't pass, and it's a little sad seeing people in other states trying for the same thing and knowing that we have to wait another two years to try again.

It's also irritating to know that we could be making money...and to know that others are making money...by breaking the law.

Personally I am still baking, for practice and to add photos to my portfolio. I've never sold a cake but I've baked for the cost of the supplies, just because I can't afford to bake as often as I'd like and because some of my friends just won't quit asking until they get a cake and groceries are too expensive for me to make them a cake for free. Every time I take one of my cakes somewhere I have people asking if I sell cakes...but I don't. I don't want to do anything illegal and I don't want to run a business without insurance, or be unable to pay taxes on my income because it's not coming from a legal source.

I've thought about working in a bakery...but my kids will only be little once, I can't get that time back later on, and I'm not willing to leave them with a sitter so I can work for $8 an hour.

So I know how you feel and I don't think anyone should be making you feel bad for venting here.

IDoCakesinTX Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 6:42pm
post #17 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

I wasn't trying to insult you, but to warn you to be very careful with sharing information on the internet that could get you into legal trouble. icon_smile.gif There have been threads on here about jealous women turning in home bakers, over and over again. I know it's just a vent, but you need to keep some info close to your chest, especially right now.




I'm not insulted at all. I guess I feel a little naive and 'naked' if you will. I realize, now, that I should have been more discrete with all I say, do, and hints I give to protect myself if I ever were to do it.

I guess, I'm just mad.....why isn't it up to my potential customers as to whether I'm 'safe'.

suz3 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 6:44pm
post #18 of 71

I feel your pain!!!! I am 61 years old so children are not an issue. Someone recently said I could use their catering business (health dept inspected) to bake out of. When I looked at it, UCK!!!! It was so nasty that I couldn't even imagine cooking anything there. I found a place which is fairly reasonable but then there is equipment, insurance, etc. I have a little money saved but not too much. It just seems so risky at my age and in this economy to attempt this venture as much as "I want it". I have contacted my state rep who is willing to sponser a bill to legalize home bakers in OK but who knows who long that will take if it ever passes. If it does, then there is the question of what you would have to do to your kitchen to make it legal. This whole situation really sucks!!!!

LynnZClaire Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 6:45pm
post #19 of 71

Im riiiiight there with you and it sucks icon_sad.gif I want to bake and make a profit from it but I can't afford to open a business. So I'll just bake for friends and family for now... icon_cry.gif lol.

mombabytiger Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 7:47pm
post #20 of 71

If you can't work from home and you still want to do this, then reconcile yourself to the fact that you can't work from home, and move on. Maybe there are some other people in the same situation who would be willing to share a professional space with you. A caking co-op, if you will. You could share the expenses of overhead, make money individually, and pitch in and help each other if child issues rear their ugly heads. If you set up your own space, you could design a child-friendly area.

If it is your dream to be a cake designer/decorator then find a way to make it happen. Don't blame the government, your kids, your husband, Jesus, Mary or the angels.

"What happens to a dream deferred...?"

sari66 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:31pm
post #21 of 71

I agree with mombabytiger, since there are so many of you ladies in tx that want to bake but can't afford a space alone why don't you rent a space together? Find a building that used to be a kitchen perferably or one that can be converted and have it open 24/7 you can share the rent and you can have a room for your kids to be near but safely out of the way. You can hire a local college student to watch over them and everyone who has a child has to pay her salary.
Just something to think about

suz3 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:42pm
post #22 of 71

Whoa!! I'm not blaming anyone. Sometimes things just are what they are but it doesn't mean you have to like the situation. I was involved in a business before with someone who I felt I could trust and ended up being stabbed in the back so the idea of being financially involved with anyone is scary. Opening a business is still a very costly venture even if you do it with others. I think the point is we would like to be legal and do what we love.

Deb_ Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:54pm
post #23 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose


I've thought about working in a bakery...but my kids will only be little once, I can't get that time back later on, and I'm not willing to leave them with a sitter so I can work for $8 an hour.




This statement is so true Texas_Rose........those years FLEW by for me!

To the OP, I was in your boat for years. I lived in Rhode Island in a brand new home in a new sub-division. We thought we would stay there forever.

Well, when I found out I couldn't get my home kitchen licensed and the zoning laws were very strict in my neighborhood, I knew we wouldn't stay in RI forever.

I baked cakes for free for over 20 yrs. It was so frustrating, but it allowed me to get a lot of practice and to stay at home during the day with my kids until they were older. I worked nights doing hair.

In 2004 we decided to make the move to Massachusetts. So we built a new home, with a second kitchen in the basement (in MA the family kitchen CAN be licensed, but my house plan is very open, so we went with the basement kitchen)

I only had to move 30 minutes away, but being in a different state made all the difference.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is even though it's frustrating don't rush these years at home with your kiddos. My 2 are in their 2nd and 3rd year of college now and I don't know where the years went.

Maybe by the time your kids are older Texas will have passed the Cottage Law and you'll be able to make your dream a reality.

Oh, one of my nieces also has her Masters in Education but now that she has 2 kids she stays home too. To earn extra money she tutors students from our town. Her name is in the office at all the town schools, and when a child needs help they contact her. The kids come right to her home after school while her kids are napping.

Perhaps you could work something out like this. She does really well.....$25 an hr and up.

Good luck!
Deb

IDoCakesinTX Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:26pm
post #24 of 71

I appreciate the suggestions to rent space and co-op w/ others....but it's out of the question. I have very young kids and and will have more....and taking them to a facility to bake is not my 'dream'.

It's just frustrating. Amen. That's it. When I have some extra cash, I'll practice....other than that....I'll wait until we can get the law changed in 2 years.

sari66 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:54pm
post #25 of 71

I do understand cakesinTX I hoped it was something you could give a try. Good luck and never give up it'll happen icon_smile.gif

Nchanted1 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:56pm
post #26 of 71

Heres a suggestion for you. I recently delivered a cake to a lady's home. She said to put it on the dining room table. There was already a GORGEOUS cake on the table! I thought, hmm, did she order 2 cakes?

Nope. It was a fake! Styrofoam, iced in spackle, beautifully decorated, she keeps it as her centerpiece. She bought it at a craft show for $50 (it was an 8 inch cake. Not edible, and therefore perfectly legal for you. I have also seen a site where somepne rents fake wedding cakes. Not that I approve, being a faithful cake person, but still, it might be the answer to your situation. HTH

mombabytiger Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 10:14pm
post #27 of 71

Is it your dream to make cakes or to make kids? I can't even imagine trying to bake and decorate someone's dream wedding cake with 2+ little kids running around! Or worse yet - while pregnant!

I work in a professional kitchen that is regularly inspected, immaculate, all temperatures safe and controlled. A hand-washing sink is two steps from me. I have a bucket of hot water mixed with a sanitizer at my station at all times. I wear a uniform, including a toque to cover my hair. The floor is tiled and can be washed down and sanitized every day. Every pan, dish and utensil that I use goes through a high-temp dishwasher.

I'm not trying to start anything here and Lord knows I have a lot of kids, but laws are laws for a reason. Food that is sold to the public has to be regulated for safety reasons. Personally, I would not buy a cake from someone who is changing a diaper in between icing my cake. I don't care how clean you say you are.

CareyI Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 10:17pm
post #28 of 71

I was worried about some of this too. Luckily for me I live in a state where as long as I don't sell certain things such as cream cheese icing I can bake and sell out of my home without a seperate kitchen or license and it is all legal. It's a start until I can afford more. I suggest looking into local churches. I found some that would allow night baking and were very lenient with things. You could bake after your husband is home maybe on set night s of the week. The church asks for very little $ and sometimes will take cake in exchange.

I am setting up my business all with cake exchanges for services such as business cards website etc. If you really want to do this there may be an option if you look really hard...good luck to you I hope you find something! It's hard not to do something you really love!

gourmetsharon Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 10:28pm
post #29 of 71

It's a shame when making cakes is just as illegal as selling drugs.

Tsk. Tsk.

jewelykaye Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 10:34pm
post #30 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mombabytiger


I'm not trying to start anything here and Lord knows I have a lot of kids, but laws are laws for a reason. Food that is sold to the public has to be regulated for safety reasons. Personally, I would not buy a cake from someone who is changing a diaper in between icing my cake. I don't care how clean you say you are.




I understand the "laws are laws for a reason". However, when the law changes from state to state, that is where it gets confusing and complicated. If we have the same regulations placed on us, how is it that home bakeries in Utah are safer than home bakeries in Texas (or whatever other state)?

It should be one way across the board. Because if it's legal in some states and not in others then the whole it's a public health issue just doesn't fly. By that I mean, if it's a public health issue then what about those 12 states that allow home bakeries? How are they not public health hazards?

BTW mombabytiger- this isn't directed towards you in any way. It's just that I have heard that "laws are laws for a reason" statement before. And in some cases that is a valid statement. In this case it is not.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%