How Do I....repair Fondant?

Decorating By kamikaze_fish Updated 26 Jun 2009 , 5:28pm by Rylan

kamikaze_fish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kamikaze_fish Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 7

What techniques do you use for holes, elephant skin, cracks, etc. I've done quite a bit of searching on here and haven't really found anything on this.

6 replies
mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 7

I haven't tried it myself, but our instructor took some fondant, added a little water, worked it until it became a paste, then used it like spackling on the tears in her fondant. Looked pretty good when she was done!

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 7

I've patched holes with a little r.i. but as for elephant skin I'm thinking the only fix is to take it off and start again...

kamikaze_fish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kamikaze_fish Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:18am
post #4 of 7

That's a great idea mandysue! I'm eager to see all the ideas everyone comes up with for fixing their cakes. I did the unfortunate cover up tonight on a cake to hide my problems. It worked out and the cakes look good but I'll know they have mistakes underneath. icon_sad.gif

anricat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anricat Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 7

Cover with decorations. LOL!

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:54pm
post #6 of 7

If they aren't to big and not the whole cake I have taken crisco to smooth on and it fills in tiny holes and lines, it does make it a little shiney, so wipe off all the excess and use as little as possible. I have also used bc the same way. I just use my finger to do it lightly.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 5:28pm
post #7 of 7

For holes and crack, try patching it with royal icing. I've done it on white on white and it blended in.

Sometimes covering it with decorations is the best way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%