Need Answer Asap -Can Non-Toxic Markers Be Used On A Cake?

Decorating By clopin0 Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 9:53pm by cutthecake

clopin0 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 6

I borrowed my aunt's printer with edible ink to use for my son's birthday cake this weekend, but when I printed the images last night, the printer was out of red and yellow ink. I have the edible paper and was wondering if it would be OK to use non-toxic markers on it. The only edible markers that I can buy in my area are the Wilton ones, which only come in 5 colors (and I need more colors than that). Most children's washable markers are non-toxic, so does anyone know if I can use those to color the images?


5 replies
kamikaze_fish Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 6

I wouldn't chance it.

muddpuppy Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 6

From a previous discussion the understanding I have is that non-toxic is NOT the same as edable, so I wouldn't chance it either...

BlakesCakes Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 6

If it were just to paint features on a modeled character, or something that probably wouldn't be eaten, I'd say go ahead, but if it's to color large portions of an edible image, then no, I wouldn't advise it.

If the Wilton markers are Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, & Black, then you can do almost any color you want by mixing the two:

R+Y= orange
R+G= brownish


Lita829 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 6

I wouldn't risk it.

cutthecake Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 6

Non-toxic does not mean edible. Plus, it might stain mouths, lips and teeth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%