Gumpaste Flowers - Airbrush Or Dry Lustre?

Decorating By Loucinda Updated 26 Jun 2009 , 12:25pm by Loucinda

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 8

OK - I have never bought the already done gumpaste flowers, but I was given some recently (thank you Ann!) and I was wondering which is the best way to color them? I have both the airbrush (with a ton of colors - plain and shimmer) and I have a ton of lustre dusts - before I dive in and ruin them, I would appreciate advice on which techniques work the best?
TIA!

7 replies
artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 8

An airbrush might be difficult if there are a lot of overlapping petals, like roses. If the spray is blocked by the edge of one petal, it'll leave a blank silhouette on the petal beneath it. Not sure if I'm explaining that well.

If it's an open flower, like an orchid, you might get nice results with an airbrush. Personally, I prefer the look of dusts. It seems to give a more natural finish. To me, airbrush always looks like airbrush.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 8

You can use BOTH...you can do a base color with the airbrush and do the highlights with the dusts. I do this when I don't pre-color the fondant/gumpaste before making the flowers. Just don't use a heavy handed spray....light coverage will help in the shading effect that a natural flower has. Also, it is easier to airbrush the flower parts before putting the flower together...that way you can more effectively control color blending and shading.

Loucinda Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks ladies - I have made flowers with already colored gumpaste, and then used the dusts on them, I have never started with a "blank canvas" so to speak! There are several different boxes of flowers, and several different "sprays" too - I am sure I will have to dust the sprays, I cannot imagine an airbrush working well on those! I may have to just take a few and play with them to see - I just hate wrecking perfect already done flowers! Some of them are in pieces (orchids??) and then the roses are already one piece.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 8

And sometimes I like to use pulverized chalk. Works really well for certain colors. And a brush with a real slanted tip to get into nooks and crannies.

Loucinda Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 7:40pm
post #6 of 8

Never thought of chalk - thanks for the heads up!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:33pm
post #7 of 8

Oh yeah...some of the colors are so delicate, and ground up real fine, it's a very subtle way to add color....works well!

Loucinda Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 12:25pm
post #8 of 8

I work at Michaels - next time I am there I will tear up the chalk isle! icon_biggrin.gif I have plenty of the empty luster dust pots - I am sure those will work fine for the chalk - is there any special techniques you do to grind it? (mortar and pestle??)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%