Help With Making Soccer Ball...stupid ****ing Thing...

Decorating By BakeLoveMom Updated 26 Jun 2009 , 3:36am by BakeLoveMom

BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 7

I have made a soccer ball cake before. it looked good in the front and was a little mishapen in the back, however I have another one due and I just spent 2 hours getting no where. Does someone know of the best way to do it???

Thanks, sorry I am frustrated.

Sarah

6 replies
CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 7

Which part are you having difficulty with? Getting the round shape or piping on the design? Or covering it in fondant? Then I could maybe help with more specific advice.

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 7

Are you using the Wilton Ball Pan? What part are you having difficulty with?

BakeLoveMom Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 12:29am
post #4 of 7

Sorry I was at work all day, I am trying to cover it in fondant. I first covered the ball, then started using the ball tool to make the indents, I couldn't line up the different sized hexagons right. (The black ones are smaller than the white ones). Sorry I should have specified. Thanks again. How do you guys do it?

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:42am
post #5 of 7

I crumb coated the ball and then cut out the black pentagons (five sides) and white hexagons (six sides). The top was easy but you need to make sure that the shapes are properly sized for the ball size otherwise you will have too much or too little space as you get towards the bottom. There's a picture of my cake in my photos. I was able to trim the bottom shapes to get them to fit so it worked out but I would resize the shapes if I did it again.

anricat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anricat Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:31am
post #6 of 7

The way I did it (the photo is in my photos) was cut the black and white out of wax paper. So I had little patterns. I covered the entire ball in white fondant. I put the pattern piece for the black shape on the top and made impressions with the little plastic knifey sort of tool I have (it's in the gumpaste tool kit from Wilton). I went all around the black with indentations, then laid out the pattern piece for the white shape and went around the next row, and then on down. Does that make sense? Then I cut out the black pieces and replaced them with pieces cut out of black.

BakeLoveMom Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:36am
post #7 of 7

thanks so much guys, it helped a lot.

icon_smile.gif I am happy now

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%