Need To Get Sick Kid On A Plane Tomorrow - Suggestions?

Lounge By -Tubbs Updated 29 Jun 2009 , 5:05pm by -Tubbs

-Tubbs Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 15

My DH is taking our 13 yo DD back to the UK with him tomorrow to visit his folks. It's an 8 hour flight, plus the two hours at the airport this end and the car pick-up and drive at the other end (another 2-3 hrs).

They've been looking forward to this for months. The problem is that she is quite sick. She has a nasty cough and a fever. I'm pretty sure it's viral, so I can't see any point in taking her to see the Dr. I don't usually ask for anti-biotics anyway, because I think they're over-prescribed and don't work on many illnesses.

I have been giving her ibuprofen which does work to bring down the fever - she's not raging hot, just enough to make her really miserable (I did mention that she's 13, didn't I? icon_smile.gif ) This morning she's been saying she doesn't know if she'll be able to go tomorrow, which would be really upsetting for everyone, especially my 86-yo in-laws who haven't seen my kids for 2 years.

Does anyone have any suggestions for magic OTC medications which will make her well enough to travel tomorrow? She can recover properly once she's there.

Sorry this is so long, and thanks for reading.

14 replies
sweetsbycheryl Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:21pm
post #2 of 15

Please don't take this the wrong way, but she really shouldn't be getting on a plane if she is that ill- especially if she has a nasty cough- respiratory problems can be worsened by the cabin pressure of the plane, plus the fact that if she is coughing, she could spread her illness to the other passengers who have to breathe the same air. I know it would disappoint your family not to see her, but that will make for a very long and miserable day for her, and may hamper her getting better- what if she would get really ill while in flight?? Just my thoughts, I really don't know what OTC meds other then Mucinex that may help, but not enough to get her well enough to travel tomorrow. Good Luck!!

Katiekatiekatie Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 15

As a Nurse I agree with the above post.

Consider the other 100 some passengers on the plane that have someone coughing on them all trip. It will make EVERYONE uncomfortable!

Go to the MD and get a letter to get your tickets refunded.

michellenj Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 15

I got sick like that once, was selfish and went anyway. I ended up giving the norovirus to my 4 yr old, my 2 yr old who almost had to be hospitalized due to dehydration, my parents, hubby's parents, hubby's brother, SIL, and kids, and his aunt and uncle, as well as my elderly grandparents. Christmas was ruined that year, thanks to me.

It sounds like your daughter doesn't feel well enough to go, contagiousness aside. How much worse will she feel after a 15 hour day of traveling and the time difference?

I would take her to the doc and plan another trip.

costumeczar Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:39pm
post #5 of 15

Have to agree, do NOT put her on that plane. They might actually take a look at her and refuse to let her on the plane anyway, with all the swine flu hysteria and viruses spreading via air travel.

The issue of spreading germs aside, being on an airplane with dry air recirculating for that long will only make her worse.

And do you want to be responsible, or have her feel responsible, for giving a virus to an 86-yr-old? When my kids even have a runny nose I don't let them go around my elderly inlaws. God forbid they should catch whatever the kids have and die from it! My grandfather died from a heart attack after a bout of bronchitis, so viruses can weaken elderly people enough that they can get severely ill at the least, and something bad could happen at the worst. Don't put her on that plane!

mandysue Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 15

I just want to say that I'm really sorry for the situation. If it were me, I'd probably take her to the doctor today to see what they have to say. I've been in similar situations before and it's impossible to come up with a satisfactory solution. I'm so sorry.

Mike1394 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:51pm
post #7 of 15

If you think she might not be well enough to fly, why in the world wouldn't you take her to a DR?

jen1977 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 15

As someone who just traveled cross country last week on a plane, I say don't do it. With all the media attention on the swine flu, etc, I was super paranoid any time I heard someone cough. I can't imagine listening to someone cough during the entire flight. Who wants to spread whatever she has to a plane full of people! See if you can get a letter from the dr, and reschedule the trip.

bharbor Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 15

It is quite possible that they will check her health before they let her off the plane in the UK. My son visited Asia recently and they had medics on the plane checking temperatures and symptoms before they landed.

mandysue Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 6:26pm
post #10 of 15

So, what happened? Did they go or stay?

Mensch Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 6:31pm
post #11 of 15

I'd br pretty ticked if I was sitting next to someone who was obviously ill.

Karabear1125 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 5:05am
post #12 of 15

I would be too Mensch! I'm bad enough when it comes to germs around my 3 year old , let alone be stuck on a plane with someone who is knowingly that sick, especially with a fever! Keep her home n reschedule, that's what I would do...

-Tubbs Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 5:08am
post #13 of 15

They went. She was much better last night - no fever, cough almost gone. I kept her off school this morning, just to be sure but she was fine to go.

Now my youngest has it...

mandysue Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:22pm
post #14 of 15

Germs are everywhere. I'm glad she was well enough to go as I can't imagine the hassle and tears that canceling or rescheduling would have caused. As I said, I've been in that situation before and it ain't pretty!

-Tubbs Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:05pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks for your thoughts MandySue. Yes, I was glad she was well enough to travel. It would really have been challenging to have to reschedule. They are now having a nice family visit!

Quote by @%username% on %date%